Comic books+

On a somewhat related note, what are the absolute must read graphic novels?

Oh yes, I don’t make much difference to be honest. Comics, Belgian/French BDs and mangas are already worlds apart, still influencing each other. I wouldn’t know where to draw the line of graphic novels.
But very welcome here for sure.

—-

A friend of mine put Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis 2 decades ago, and it definitely stayed in my memory as a cult series.
Spider Jerusalem as the ultimate journalist reporting the corruption of the current world was brilliant, hasn’t really aged.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/56909-transmetropolitan-collected-editions

1 Like

Al Columbias art, and his books Biological Show struck a deep disturbing nerve with me.

2 Likes

One of the most important comics for me is the Thorgal series. This is the story of the title character Thorgal, the (adoptive) son of a Viking king. It’s an amazing mix of Norse mythology, fantasy and sci-fi, but against the odds, everything blends together perfectly. The main character seeks happiness and peace with his family, but fate throws him into various fantastic adventures.

The story is written by Jean Van Hamme and drawn by Grzegorz Rosiński. Since the illustrator is from Poland, as a result Thorgal is incredibly popular here. Even people who don’t read comics know him.

I read this comic book for the first time as a few year old kid in the 80’s. And a year ago I read the whole series again (and a few side series), it no longer makes the same impression as it once did, but I still find it very interesting and one of the most important in my growth as a kid/teenager. The comic is still being published, but now someone else is writing the script and drawing, and the freshness of the earlier parts is a bit lacking. But the first several issues I recommend as much as possible.

Anyway, I don’t read a lot of comics lately, but of the recent ones that impressed me were Maus and Berlin.

As for Akira, right now in Poland this series is being published in the form of big six albums, and next February the last one is supposed to come out, and I plan to read the whole thing in one go, because the last time I read it was a very long time ago and I don’t remember much, except that I liked it very much.

3 Likes

If you like SciFi stuff, Graham’s “Prophet” is amazing:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/comics/brandon-graham/10-reasons-why-brandon-grahams-prophet-is-the-best/

4 Likes

Oooooooo comic books! I love comic books!

I’m mostly a superhero guy. Love Grant Morrison’s Batman and X-Men work, Animal Man, WE3. Garth Ennis killed it with Punisher and Preacher. Rick Remender with X-Force. The new series The Nice House on the Lake is amazing, too.

If anyone is a collector, I’m trying to unload about 2k books from my collection. Mostly superhero stuff. Hit me up if you’re interested.

1 Like

I haven’t read it in almost thirty years, but Maus is considered a must-read.

5 Likes

A huge loss, I loved his 2000AD work and also League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Probably my favourite series of all time! If I’d been braver I would have had some of his stuff tattooed on me.

4 Likes

I got the first collected volume of Saga which I enjoyed, but it was expensive for me to carry on with.

Zenith in 2000AD is another I collected, after the huge delay in re-printing them.
image image
image image

1 Like

Really stoked on Farmhand, written and illustrated by Rob Guillory who illustrated Chew. It’s got some similarities to chew obviously in visual style, but also in sense of humor.

I’m a huge Brubaker fan and Kill or be Killed is up there with Criminal in quality, but a little different from his other work.

1 Like

I like eden a lot.

This reminds me of a recent run on Hawkeye.

What’s the name of this?

1 Like

Jodorowsky’s partnership with Mœbius for “L’incal” was mindblowing when I was a teenager.
I consider it an all-time classic, it integrated my imaginary vision very deeply.

5 Likes

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed the Tintin series of comics. I’ve read all of them multiple times, and they never get old.

Batman has also been a favorite of mine, some of the most memorable being The Killing Joke, and Arkham Asylum. I also enjoy the watercolors of Dustin Nguyen’s Batman.
613zWByRFIL.AC_SY780

Manga-wise I have to mention my favorite manga Eyeshield 21. Artist Yusuke Murata balanced heavy cartoonish elements with moments of detailed realism.

Of course I have to mention Akira.

I’m sure there’s more I could mention, but these were just what I thought of off the top of my head.

4 Likes

I am absolutely crazy about comics. I couldn’t say when I started reading them, they were always just there. The first brand new comic book I ever had was brought home by my father and it was Machine Man #6. The first comic I ever bought with my own money was an issue of Avengers right about the same time. The issue number eludes me as I no longer have it.

Big Kev is a top lifetime favorite of mine. Nemesis has always been a bit obscure here in the states. To the point that it had not dawned on me that it was drawn by O’Neill until just a few years ago. Which was great because it was a whole new world of O’Neill to discover. Marshal Law has always been my favorite of his works. I now present you all my Marshal Law poster that has graced the walls of every place I’ve lived for the last 34 years. It is currently hung up next to my spot at work. Where I toil away the days in service of a fairly well established local publisher of comic books :0)

2 Likes

Not mentioned yet - my favourite writer is Rick Remender.

My absolute favourite series I’ve read yet is Black Science. It was so incredibly crafted. Low, Seven to Eternity also very good fantasy series by him, and have recently been reading Deadly Class which might pan out being as good as black science. Haven’t really read any of his Marvel or DC stuff as I’ve started to lose interest with any of that.

Loads of stuff I’ve really enjoyed, but I have a lot of territory yet unexplored. Paper Girls and Locke & Key are a couple of others that immediately spring to mind. Love both of them too.

2 Likes

I love this thread.

Had to also mention one of my all time favorites.
Gunsmith Cats and Usagi Yojimbo.

4 Likes

Thanos and Infinity Wars are some of my favorites and I have the originals.

Currently reading, and really enjoying Acting Class by Nick Drnaso.
His two other books are great too - ‘Sabrina’ and ‘Beverly’

This collection (there’s two other books also) is really cool, very dark and funny.

1 Like

Has anyone read DMZ?
It’s the story of a second North American civil war and Manhattan becomes a DMZ.
I’ve been thinking again recently it might not be so far fetched an idea…

Really pleased to see Moebius get so many mentions, Bilal too.

Special mention to the Simon Bisley run on Slaine: The Horned God.
Oh and I finally got round to reading Akira last year, just wow.

3 Likes