Comic books+

Not a big graphic novel reader, but this one I really enjoyed and still think of sometimes…

1 Like

I really liked DMZ for a while, I’m not sure how far I got before I lost interest but eventually it lost me, first few volumes are phenomenal tho!

Persepolis

6 Likes

Yeah fair, it did drift for a while. Comes back strong at the end though!

1 Like

I may have to revisit it, sometimes I think reading comics that originally came out monthly in one big go doesn’t translate as well.

2 Likes

Some are good though, Mafalda’s full compilation is a good example.

2 Likes

My stance exactly.

1 Like

Absolutely, I think some comics even read better when read as a single book. I think Brubaker’s Fade Out worked better as a finished piece than reading it as it came out.

3 Likes

Yes if in addition there is a minimum of action or suspense, the wait can kill the interest.

2 Likes

Definitely… I’ve been waiting for Paul Pope to release Battling Boy 2 now for years.

1 Like

I had the ACME something something… I cant recall the title exactly…like a fool when I moved away from SF in 2003 I gave my humble little but nice collection to someone I thought was a friend. regrets of youth.

1 Like

I know what you mean…the first time I saw their work ( Moebius) and I heard a snippet of GAS music I knew…felt like something your dreamed of or wished existed.

1 Like

Anything Brubaker touches is gold. His Batman stories rocked. And his Captain America.

But the Nior stuff is really really good.

Plus I forgot to mention Once and Future. It’s about King Authur, and fairy tales. The artwork reminds me of Ralph Bakshi, the animator of American Pop.

1 Like

Its better to let them go.

That kind of attachment can weigh you down in life. Plus, there are digital ways of reading any comic ever published, so you can always revisit the stories.

I know it sucks, but in the end, its just paper.

8 Likes

very true…the story and artistic impression imprints are more valuable than collecting them.

2 Likes

Wise words.
Makes me think I should unload stuff…

1 Like

Man. I held on to Hawkeye #1 for YEARS since I was a kid, thinking “it’s #1!! it’s going to be worth something someday!!”

Now I wonder if I let it go over the years…

For sure the two most memorable Graphic Novels I have read are:

1. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
  2. Maus by Art Spiegelman
1 Like

Miyazaki of course.

7 Likes

My girlfriend got me a book from the Beasts Of Burden -series by Evan Dorkin. I owned the first one - Animal Rites - and loved it but now I have a completely new storyline to dive into.

At first I was hesitant: ”Nah, can’t be bothered about a comic book about neighbourhood dogs done in watercolour.” But then I read the first one and fell head over heels for it. It’s about ghosts, exorcisms, old japanese traditional monsters and such, the cast just happens to be a bunch of dogs and a cat. Highly recommended! One of the best comic books I’ve ever read.

4 Likes