Commute time : getting a used Iphone to have Ableton Note, Drambo, ...?

That’s pretty much where I am : these days I have a lot of commute time to go to work and I want to be productive during this time. Do you think it would be silly to buy a used Iphone just to make music ? I also was thinking about the Dirtywave M8 but for that price it seems I can have a lot more with apps. The workflow on the phone doesn’t seem to bother me, so that’s not really the question.

So, I’m curious, what do you think about this ? If you have any advice, apps you find cool, etc, be my guest.

1 Like

2 Likes

Why not an iPad or iPad mini? More screen/less cruft.

1 Like

i guess Drambo on a phone screen is a nightmare.
get iPad.

2 Likes

Drambo is ok on a phone but an iPad is much better.

An iPhone is great enough for making music. It is easy to pocket and break out whenever you want to jam. There are lots of apps which scale great, Drambo, Koala and Korg gadget are great examples. I have an IPad and other gear, but I make the most loops on the phone. I love iOS devices, there are millions sold and easy to get repaired or replaced.

Koala works nicely on a phone (I have it on Android, but iPhone will obviously also be good).

I have Drambo on iPad, have never used it in a phone, but it feels to me it will be very busy and cramped on a phone.

Ableton Note from the demo looked ok on a phone.

Auxy, nanoloop, and Fugue Machine are noteworthy on a phone.

The reason apps (Reason Compact, Take, and Figure) are all real nice on the phone, too.

If you feel like you need a whole DAW, Zenbeats is confusing, but does the “DAW on a phone, ipad, or desktop” thing better than most.

1 Like

+1 Zenbeats, I use it on my iPhone/iPad. I love that I can sent projects between the devices.

Definitely echo the iPad, I don’t know what iPhone batteries are like nowadays, I still have a 7 but the battery life is atrocious. I have a 2015 iPad Pro and that has great battery life even after all these years, is powerful enough and has a physical headphone/line out socket.

Drambo would be painful on a phone I reckon, but it’s really great on an iPad.

How long is a lot? Because any more then a 5/15 minutes to quickly noodle between stops, then I’d suggest an iPad instead.

Off topic, I know, but that’s a 6 year old li-ion that’s been (presumably) charged daily. It’s bordering on unsafe to still be using it. You can get it swapped for a fresh one that will last you another half-decade for US$49.

Come to the audiobus forum for some good advice on iOS music making.

2 Likes

I bought it brand new in 2019, they were still selling them. It was a toss up between the then current SE but the 7 was a superior deal when I looked into it. I’m not a big phone person, it was £160, and I won’t get another phone until the day it stops working :grinning: People have told me that the 6 & 7 were notoriously bad with battery life, although it does charge quickly.

My ipad is much older.

Unless device size is a determining factor, I’d also echo the advice to go with an iPad over an iPhone, just because there’s more compatibility with music apps as some are iPad only.

But, as someone who used to commute around 4 hours a day, I totally get if you don’t want a device larger than a phone as depending on seating configurations even using a tablet sometimes feels cramped.

op-z? Going cheap at the moment and very commutable whether on plane, train or walking…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChJJD9RgBQR/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYKnefLJ7I5/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkbIF0xAyzD/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

Had an OPZ - steep learning curve to memorise the functions screenless

True. Using with screen at home helped with learning the mental model to use it screenless. I still need the manual every time I’m applying step components though.

Aight, to answer my own question, the best thing I tried to sketch ideas on the go is Fl studio mobile. It seems like an underrated app because it’s quite powerful actually, it fits well to the phone screen, plus I can keep my old crappy Android phone.

Can confirm, nothing beats Koala at the price.
Wired headphones for use in public are a must (bluetooth latency is annoying).
I have killed time on entire flights in koala alone. In some cases I start in the terminal before boarding, and I’m still not done after I land. I use my existing drum sample library for drums, and pretty much everything else is found sounds or sample rips.

For Long hauls though, I use my iPad with AUM, Koala, and some AUv3s.
I have tried traveling with my DT and by 1010music blackbox. they’re fine to use “when I get there”, but not the best [for me] while in transit.

2 Likes