Compression ideas

Hi!

I am using almost only Elektron gear with the Octa as the brain but not solely, sometimes without and A4/DT/DN/+Korg/Roland stuff recording simply thru my interface.

So far I tried to avoid using DAW (FX with pedals) because itt kills me crativity and I’m sitting in front of my Mac all day anyways. I am not a professional, just a music lover and jamming, occasional live.

Could you recommend me a relatively budget friendly compression gear to start with?

If that’s not a good idea you think, what Ableton comprssion thing should I use? Maybe I can make an exception after all.

Is OTO Boum a good choice?

OT and DT compressors are not working for you?

Just buy a RNC to have even if you don’t need it at the moment.

2 Likes

What about an Alesis 3632? They’re dirt cheap and sound dirty, in a way that a lot of people like.

1 Like

what is budget-friendly gear for you?
200-500 bucks
501-1000 bucks
1000 bucks and beyond

I’ve been considering the DBX 266 XS for a while, £129 from Thomann atm.

1 Like

500-1000 seems ok

+1 for FMR RNC

1 Like

this:

it scratches the 1000 slightly below, it’s the older model, not the Neo – but you know, not much differences

the only thing you don’t have is a side-chain-input on the 500

the compression is delicate on this one by the way - awesome sound … you will be happy for years

i have the Xpressor 19" as master and I’m satisfied

…u really might wanna try to get best of both worlds and create a dedicated live recording document in ableton, that runs an overbridge setup…daisychain ur elektron ballpark the way, that they can host the ot via their inputs…

and use ableton live’s famous drumbus compressor…for now, just quitck and dirty on it’s mainbus and skip the whole interface single xtra roundup…

if u set it all up properly once and save that as a default doc, ur mac/daw is nothing but a recording and monitoring backend u never have to look at during ur jams…

really a waste of money if u never play live without a computer, hw only, but still invest in some hw compressor…

1 Like

i think the boum is a good choice, often deployed for live jam mastering to make it sound more final. FMR RNC or even RNLA are also good choices, i uses the RNLA to color my signal chain, it is quite finnicky, but when dialed in it sound nice. before i got the RNLA i was looking at many options, BugBrand Stereo Compress was one i would have got instead had the opportunity been there. If you ever feel like moving it up a notch, SSL bus compression is pretty much industry standard and luckily they are still making them, there are however many cheaper alternatives that are based on same circuitry.

also thought id mention i just saw a demonstration of someone making a rudimentary mastering chain including the EHX Platform stereo compressor, it might fit in well with your setup but i cant attest to the quality you can achieve with a pedal compressor

i would suggest messing around with compressors/limiters in a DAW a bit to familiarize yourself with how they work and how you can use it to benefit your sound, they can take a while to understand and even longer to utilize with conviction, glue compressor is the “ssl bus compressor” clone that ableton has and perfect for the application

I had the 266 XL for years and was happy with it for a cheap compressor

2 Likes

Hi, The FMRs seem to have a good reputation but sold out at many dealers.