Compressor

So did anyone actually get to the bottom of clockwise or anticlockwise for fast attack?

Is this diagram correct?

Thanks in advance

The knee controls aren’t correct in the diagram I know but I think the attack/release controls sound like they are working this way round to me

please someone break this down for us. I’m VERY familiar with hardware compressors and how to use, but this Elektron one on any of these devices is very strange. Not easy to correlate settings on other standard comps. Also what’s up with the RYTM comp when the vol is set low on the comp and you compress… the effects bleed through louder than the entire mix. Are the effects being blended into the master comp in parallel instead of as one mix?

1 Like

the classic resource

4 Likes

Thanks I’ve read that article, everyone seems to disagree with each other though. Just want an answer to whether it’s anti clockwise or clockwise for fast attack. Surely someone knows for sure by now lol

Clockwise is fast, just like in the image.

2 Likes

So from the thread, sounds like a ‘convolution compressor’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks, had a chance to do some experimenting and it all makes sense now. I like it, a bit different to other comps I’ve used but bags of fun and easy to get a nice pumping sound!

Funny I literally was just banging my head with this earlier this week! Thanks for re-kindling a confirmation from peeps. I remember the mix was switched but forgot that both attk and rel were as well (just recently repurchased an MD).

I noticed another weird thing, but need to make sure it wasn’t psychoacoustic. I had the mix fully dry but the OUTG still had an effect at the very end of the upper range of the parameter. Very weird.

The attack and release are the same direction as an 1176 compressor, easy to remember now :slight_smile:

Yea guitar pedals as well.

Rereading that EU thread (I had it open on a tab still from my MD reaqaintance sessions ; ) ),

Was just rereading the part were Tarakith was posting his reply from Elektron, (in which they said the atk and rel are the other way around, even though I agree that the daigram is correct.

However, they did confirm what I was saying above: High values of OUTG produce bleed through.

Finished reading EU sticky,

Hmmm no one ever said anything about:

"…and REL has a strange mode where it controls both the attack and release rates at the same time… "

in that post JDN did with images from daw. (pg7)

I was hoping that atk and rel were just 1176-style and that there was no other funny business, will have to investigate this whole 70-74 release amount weirdness. sigh…

Yeah, that’s what I meant by ‘convolution’ – just got the MD, was playing with the compression a little before seeing this thread, wasn’t ‘getting’ it at first, but then just tweaked to see what sounded good, and didn’t bother with trying to think it through. I’m curious to explore this a little further to see if I can understand more what might be going on, the thread didn’t seem to arrive at a conclusion, to me.