Computer Video Game Recommendations

Ah, the words that best capture my childhood years… :joy:

3 Likes

forever! me too, I can’t forget it if I think about games … What could you do with a spit? jjjj

2 Likes

Yeeeaaahhh Witcher 3 is well deserving of all the praise. So rich.

4 Likes

Yep.
And day of the tentacle.

5 Likes

That’s where I learned how the US Constitution was ACTUALLY produced :joy::joy::joy:

Man, all the LucasArts games…Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Loom, the Monkey Islands…

This was (and in a way still is) my favourite genre of game, so much fun.

I recently played Grim Fandango with my wife on our iPad, she didn’t know about adventure games…we both loved it.

Just the other day I thought…what a shame that in blockbuster games so much emphasis is placed on realism/graphics seemingly exclusively! Of course it’s awesome to have a great looking game and immersion benefits from that I guess, but game mechanics, game concepts, brave storytelling and lovely art go a long way too. I feel most of these LucasArts games had those qualities in spades.

4 Likes

Exactly as in music and in many other arts, it is far from the boulevard of the success,
in the small alleys that one finds pearls, even if from time to time exceptions fall on us.

4 Likes

“i want shorter games with worse graphics made by people who are paid more to work less and i’m not kidding”

also- Tim Schafer Breaks Down 20 Years of Double Fine Games | Noclip - YouTube

5 Likes

I prepared for the holidays with downloading Crusader Kings 3 on my laptop and Death Stranding on PS4. Both of them have been an absolute pleasure to spend some evenings with. But then I spontaneously got Celeste for PS4 (it was on sale for a couple of euros) — and it’s hands down the best game I’ve played in years. In all of its’ seeming simplicity it is absolutely mindblowingly great game. It’s also a surprisingly realistic depiction of depression while not being depressing at all — in fact, it’s light and funny and a real joy to play. The mechanics of jumping and dashing is so simple that it gets engraved in your brain, a sort of Tetris effect. Also, the music is super catchy and I’ve been singing the tunes aloud when not playing the game. It’s also one of the most challenging games I’ve played without ever being frustrating. I give it 852 stars out of 5 (approx the number of times I’ve died in the game so far).

I’ve got only one level to go. After that I’ll return to delivering parcel in post-apocalypse USA and raiding the British coast as the king of Iceland. :smiley:

2 Likes

Quick question: I have an audio interface that I use for computer sounds, which I connect my headphones to for gaming. But I want to talk in games. Should I buy a decent gaming headset (would be like $70-90ish) or get a computer mic and just use my headphones since I like them (DT-770)?

If I go the mic route, I’m assuming it will likely be USB. So I connect the mic via USB and then listen on my headphones via my audio interface? My computer doesn’t have a soundcard.

It seems easier to just get an all-in-one headset like a HyperX headset and connect via USB and be done with it.

I’m assuming I just can’t connect a mic via XLR on my interface and use that, correct?

1 Like

Def just get the usb headset and be done with it

2 Likes

after 15 years of absence I got pulled back into videogames by the hype around cyberpunk 2077.

it ticked all my boxes and just promised so much.
I did enjoy my playthrough, stunning map and graphics quality. but even if it didn’t have all the bloody glitches, in my opinion it remains a mediocre game at best: AI is too stupid for it to be a real open world experience, and the RPG elements are too shallow, everything is too shallow in this game.

After finishing the main quest and all other possible quests and side hustles I run out of things to do after about 130 hours.

Like I said, I’m still pretty satisfied: I played it on stadia at high settings and it run perfectly, the game even came with a Chromecast Ultra and a stadia controller.

But it didn’t scratch the itch its hype generated in me, so yesterday I went ahead and bought red dead redemption 2. I’ve only played a couple of hours so far but the game engine is so much better than CB2077.

one last thing I wanted to share is that stadia on Chromecast (tried both CC Ultra and the new one with Google TV) has a very annoying audio lag.
workaround is connecting headphones to the gamepad, which brings the lag to 0. I really hope they fix it.

7 Likes

For those who love tactical games and feodal Japan,
the very good Shadow Tactics cheap on Steam now.

3 Likes

Two totally different studios, games and engines
in terms of age, longevity and budget.

I’ve rarely been as bored as on Red Dead II,
a superb map with unbearable displacement physics
and an average and far too predictable story.
In addition, the “pay to win” worthy of a free to play
of online mode is shameful.

I really enjoyed Cyberpunk even though as you pointed out
the Rpg side is too light despite the nice writing.
The game is young and knowing the studio and its past,
it will certainly evolve very well … unlike Red Dead II.

2 Likes

Not much of a gamer but this is a nice touch adding games to a piece of music gear I own. Only just started playing these games (hence my terrible score so far), but the fact there are games built into a piece of music gear I own means i’m going to play them more.

5 Likes

Bloodborne! I love all of the FromSoft games, but BB is definitely my favourite. Yes it’s hard but if I can do an entire run without dying it’s possible for anyone to master!

7 Likes

Never got on with BB by that was a few years before I got Dark Souls on Switch. Played through that and found it fantastic but by then I was on my current “no to Sony” phase due to them shafting me after my account was hacked.

Tore through Sekiro on Stadia and now honestly can’t wait fo Elden Ring. Hoping it’s a 2021 release.

2 Likes

I’ve sort of given up for now. Sold my PS4. It’s days are numbered really. Next gen update for 2077 supposedly Q3, so might take another look at CP in another 6 months or so if I end up with a next gen console.

It’s interesting when you see figures like 130 hours, to me that is definitely getting your moneys worth. I remember playing 8 bit platformers back in the day that you can clock in a day, and still pay the same price. So it’s crazy what today’s titles give you in terms of entertainment time, even a movie only goes for 3 hours and that’s $20-$30 bucks.

Anyway, I finished Last of Us Part 2, and before that Last of Us. It’s funny to say but, these are the first two games I’ve finished in years. Often I just give up around 3/4 of the way through open world titles. Just too big or I lose the motivation. But with these titles I really felt pulled along.

It’s nice playing linear titles for a change after the leashless meandering of open world. But damn, I’m in the camp of thinking TLOU2 was amazing. I thought it was absolutely engrossing.
The scene were Joel plays guitar to Ellie actually brought a tear to my eye, I thought it was amazing that video games now have that capability after all these years.

But it seems like it’ll take a while till titles start arriving on next gen, so I’m probably out for a while until there’s a backlog to binge that makes it worth picking up a console.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Rumours have been swirling for some time that there’s going to be a PC port (if you have a gaming setup). Well worth playing!

2 Likes

Got a Switch this time last year and have clocked close to 400 hours in it. So many great games! Breath of the wild, Hollow Knight, rain world, blasphemous, inside, limbo, super Daryl deluxe to name a few of the absolute best. Rain World is an absolute gem! Can’t praise it highly enough.

3 Likes

I’m posting here because it seems ideal.
If a moderator finds no, I move. :innocent:
I have some Steams keys for games to give away.

:dizzy:-Trine 4
Adventure/reflection back in 2.5D!

The one or those interested in one or more games, MP me.

3 Likes