Computer Video Game Recommendations

I’m almost completely over games, but here’s a few modern ones I’ve really enjoyed:

The Long Dark
Pure survival game based in a wintery forest with amazing atmosphere. Play the sandbox and put some dark ambient on

Rimworld
Isometric strategy / roleplaying game, it’s like playing with lego in a way that none of the other games like Minecraft haven’t quite captured. Doesn’t feel like a children’s game, either as there’s plenty of fucked up stuff you can do, for example run your economy based on harvested organs from prisoners or running a drug lab.

Dead Cells
The other good 2d roguelite, extremely slick controls and and movement. Didn’t get old until like 50-60 hours in, at which point there’s still hundreds of hours of gameplay left if you enjoy the grind

Noita
Another 2d roguelite, this time with pixel art and what’s amazing is that every pixel is affected by the physics engine, meaning “realistic” liquids and all of the enviroment being destructible. Half the time you’ll kill yourself with acid, fire or something yet it always seems fair and fair. Very hard though.

Caves of Qud
Old school roguelike with thankfully actual graphics instead of ascii. And the graphics are brilliantly evocative despite being so simple. The world is like a cross between weird fnatasy and Fallout’s nihilistic post apocalypse, the writing is very enjoyable and the whole game is huge. Nice overworld and quests, not just a mindless dungeon crawl. Add a bit of polish and a whole lot quests and writing and this might be the greatest cRPG ever made.

3 Likes

Just started this myself. Absolutely loving it so far.

It’s the pixel art game i’ve been waiting for since i came to like this kind of artistic direction.
Too bad it’s pretty short, or maybe that’s because it’s so good.
The good thing is that the sequel seems to be ready in the devs mind.

1 Like

I played Horizon: Zero Dawn last year and it was my favorite game I’ve played in a long time, and is definitely my favorite PS4 game. Really loved the story and overall gameplay.

The Last of Us games are mandatory imo. I bought LoU2 the same day I bought Ghost of Tsushima. LoU2 was incredible, but Tsushima is the game that still crosses my months after beating it.

On another note, I figured this might be the appropriate place to vent this. Today I am receiving the rechargeable battery for Xbox Series X controller, which I ordered separately after finally getting an Xbox order to go through last week.

Except the Xbox order was cancelled the following the day, so now I get to be further mocked until I hopefully order one again (and hope it actually gets shipped…) :woozy_face:

1 Like

I’m shocked that no one has recommended Sayonara Wild Hearts yet!

It’s a video game structured like a pop album, where each level is a song or remix. It’s sort of like if you combined Guitar Hero and Temple Run:

I find it joyous.

Other recentish favorites:
Dishonored 2 is a better Batman game than any of the official Batman games.
Gorogoa is a fun puzzle game. My wife & I played through it in an afternoon.
I haven’t played it yet but all my friends are going gaga over Hades.
Portal and Portal 2 are, of course, classics.

2 Likes

Here’s the one I’m waiting for:

1 Like

Most of the time I play I do it in VR playing Elite: Dangerous.

When I play TV games I generally buy new games but get bored quickly and revert back to playing Dark Souls and Dragon’s Dogma. I did recently complete Cyberpunk 2077 though.

I also do the odd game graphics mod, which surprisingly get a fair bit of attention.

wickfutENB V4 Dragon’s Dogma at Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen Nexus - Mods and community

1 Like

Yes, Indeed…

Four Humble Monthly Steam Keys to donate here.
Mp if you are interested.

Everything is given, we will meet again next month.

1 Like

Little nightmares 2

I have a key to this game on GOG to give for anyone interested.
Mp and I send it, don’t hesitate.

I have a VERY niche recommendation. :smiley: I don’t expect that many people would care much for it, but if you’re into horizontally scrolling shooters, check out DariusBurst CS. For those unfamiliar it was one of the larger, longer standing space-ship shoot 'em up series in arcades and on consoles in the 80s/90s. The arcade cabinets usually had multiple monitors for super wide aspect ratios. I’ve been playing the Darius series since the 80s, and a few years back bought the Steam/PC version of this game. I played it quite a bit then, but recently made the impulsive decision to buy an ultrawide monitor more or less to play this style of game. (there are also a few others on the PC that support 21:9 aspect ratio) The monitor is also great for music mixing/mastering, so I don’t feel too silly having done this.

Anyway, the combination of DariusBurst CS and the ultrawide display is stunning. I’ve been playing this game in multiple hour chunks. Having an absolute blast with it. It has a ridiculous amount of content, stages, remixed stages, and other variations to keep things fresh.

If you like this genre (horizontal shooters, shmups, whatever you want to call them) this is a good one. A bit expensive for the genre, but worth it IMO.

4 Likes

Epic Games offers “Control” these days.
I was told this one is pretty good.

2 Likes

It’s a cool game. Interesting story, nice mood, nice graphics and good mechanics. I’m currently playing it on PS4 and I like the way it feels.

I was finally going through Hollow Knight, almost at the final boss (or so I thought) but gave a look at what you need to do to see the true ending and it destroyed any will to play any more of it.

I mean, kill every boss of the whole game in a row, without upgrades and then kill the secret hardest boss ever without checkpoints to have the real final cutscene? Nope, no way.

1 Like

Returnal, if you’re lucky enough to have a ps5. It’s absolutely ruining my life with the difficulty but I’d be remiss not to recommend it, I suck at it and I keep coming back for more.

I’m also playing dark souls (first one) having fallen deeply in love with bloodborne. I’m really enjoying it, it’s such a deep game with so many mechanics I wasn’t expecting. I’ve now beat in this order BB, sekiro,Demon souls remake, ds3 and now getting close to the end of ds1
It took some time for me to fully grasp the way BB wants to be played, but once i finally killed fucking rom the absolute piss taking spider I got a hit of adrenaline unlike any other outside of drugs, I went on to kill each and every boss in the dlc and main game to get the same hit. I’m just mopping up a few trophies, most in the chalice dungeons…also fuck the chalice dungeons. Only boss left is moon presence (I got out after Germain so I could do the dlc and hidden bosses, and finish all npc stuff/killing them for their drops) so I’m super looking forward to Elden Ring.

Outside of silly difficult games, I recently beat Resident Evil Village, which I enjoyed but also found pretty easy, even on hardcore and village of shadows….it felt wildly stitched together like it was several games folded into one. It was super linear altho the smaller village area was pretty well done after the various lords. The action and obvious RE4 throwback was cool….but it was no where close to being as perfect as the RE2 remake or the interesting barebones, but tough and scary RE7 which is the superior of village imo. It felt like RE3 remake which had good gameplay, but they took the piss cutting content, making nemesis sections a joke, and losing the dynamic combat of the previous game. It felt so rushed and should been dlc.
I have a feeling that they’ve just done exactly what they did with the original series and painted themselves into a corner, even with a self contained storey which has now become so convoluted and nonsensical just from 7 to 8!!!. The lack of any actual challenge with no inventory management, abundance of ammo, the availability of loot and money, rubbish puzzles and action over scares/atmosphere (save for that one Donna bienvento section….) feels like the next one is going full anime Michael bay like 5 and 6. I’ve been playing these games since the first one as a kid on PS1, so it means a lot to me.

Started a grounded run of The last of us 2, I’m stuck in one section atm but it runs so well on PS5. My fave game I’m of the last generation, possibly ever.

Finally: Disco Elysium - absolutely amazing game. The strangest and most interesting thing I’ve played in some time, and the writing and world building is of the highest quality.

Haha Sorry for the ranting, adhd and boredom has meant I’ve been playing games far more than anything else recently, it’s a bit of a coping mechanism for me and why I can just reel off a load of bollocks about it. Apologies :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I wish iPad had more proper games, it’s the only device capable of gaming I have and it would be nice to play something worth it now and then. Apple has pretty much made emulation so tedious that it’s not feasible (without Jailbreaking that is) and most of the games for it are mindless tapfests. Sigh

Yeah Mac stuff is rubbish for gaming. I wasn’t aware at the lack of steam support for most games, despite having the hardware to run them. I’d love a gaming PC but my studio is locked into apple for the time being, as I use logic along with ableton.

Does the ipad not have an Xbox app for the cloud based service? You could get gamepass if you had a decent internet connection, but I dunno if apple supports it yet.

portal reloaded on steam … boys …:eyes:

2 Likes