Connecting digitakt with other gear

Hi all
I would like to connect my digitakt with the volca keys, volca bass and microbrute. I would like to have all these machines assigned to different midi tracks. Should I need a midi switcher ? Thanks and sorry for the newby question…I am really new to this world…

Hello and welcome to this world!
Yes, a Midi Thru box will make it work. Since the Volcas have no Midi Out / Thru daisy-chaining of Midi cables is not possible.
I reckon though that with help of the search function you would have already known. :wink:

1 Like

Something like a kenton midi thru 5 will do the trick

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.
I will definitely search for more info.
Once I plug all the midi cables to t he midi box can I define different midi channels for the three instruments?
Basically I would like the volca keys to be in the first midi track, the midi bass in the second and the microbrute in the third…

Yes, you will find the info in the manual of your DT

2 Likes

Thanks to everybody

You’ll need to make sure that each box listens to a different midi channel, such as Keys Channel 1, Bass Channel 2, and Brute Channel 3, so look up how to set the midi channel for each of those. Then refer to the DT manual for setting up those three channels to send from DT itself. DT out to Midi thru box, three outs from that to your synths.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Here ist how it works in the volcas. Here is shown in the volca bass, but i think all of them have the same way of setting the midi channel

Thanks

Another question…
If I connect only a volca at a time to the digitakt (or if I connect a digitone to it in future when I will own one) do I need a mixer or I can plug the volca outs directly in the digitekt and monitor them with the digitakt headphone? Thanks

You can do that, with the latest Digitakt firmware, you can mix the two inputs in the Digitakt. There‘s only space for two inputs though.

1 Like

Thanks. I have to update the firmware then

I saw some videos related to the new digitakt firmware and really cannot wait to install it tonight…
They improved the machine a lot.
A question related to the connection…with the new fw I see that a couple of external machines can be connected to the digitakt and controlled with the new external mixer function.
In a video i saw a guy that connect the digitakt out to the digitone in…
In that way the digitakt in are free and can be used for other two synths. Right?
So basically the set up would be digitakt (with two other synths connected) out to the digitone in…everything without a mixer.
Did I get it correctly or am I wrong? Thanks

Correct. The synths can only be mono in that situation, of course, or you can choose to use one synth in stereo, and you can add DT reverb/delay/panning too, in either situation, which is handy for widening your mono synths.

1 Like

Thanks.
Amazing…in this way I could connect the digitakt , the volca keys and bass and the digitone all together without mixer…

1 Like

That’s what I do right now, except I go the other way, two ins to the Digitone, then its outs to the Digitakt’s ins…I really like using the DT master compressor on everything, and also prefer the Digitone’s chorus, reverb, and delay on my other synths. Next up for me is a little passive mixer to extend this mini setup…

Thanks. Which other two synths have you connected at the moment to the digitone?

I am using a REV2 and a Boog right now. I want to get the passive mixer so I can get the stereo out from the REV2. It’s super fun!

Great synths!