Considering Roland sh4d instead of DAW + Octatrack solution in a Elektron-gear setup

My Setup

Hardware - Digitakt, Digitone

Software - Logic pro X

So, i mostly make music on the hardware gear synced together, and I am happy with the Elektron machines, DT and DN have a perfect place in the setup. What i like most about elektron-gear is the functionality, foremost the sequencing capabilities.

When I want to incorporate sounds from logic pro X - softsynths with FX - it’s mostly because I want synths that stretch beyond what (at least I) can do with my Elektron-gear - SOUNDWISE - such as extended polyphony, really nice and fat FX, a specific sound/timbre (analog emulation of a nice classic synth), etc. Then I just sequence them from DT, record them into tracks on the Octatrack and play them from there , in order to integrate them in my all-hardware setup.

Well, until now. Perhaps.

Might Roland sh4d be the hardware that can replace my DAW (and also Octatrack!) when it comes to this? It seems to have really good sound synths, lots of polyphony, good (and plenty of) effects, and even a decent sequencer that can do some (but of course not all) elektron seq-stuff.

Thoughts?

1 Like

If all you’re using your DAW for is hosting softsynths that can be replaced by the synths in the SH-4D, then yeah, probably.

I’ve no idea what the SH-4D does that can compare or compete with anything the Octatrack does though.

4 Likes

You compare a synth with a sampler. It’s look like you use the OT just as a loop player, in that case, yeah you should look at a decent synth.

You can’t go wrong with Roland, they make quality gears.
I think the best sounding FXs come from VST, but it’s not the sound that make a good track, it’s the pleasure you get to make it.
You always make better sound design with a cheap gear you enjoy playing than the huge plugin on the computer you don’t understand.

So, my humble advice, if you enjoy your current setup with OT, keep it. If you find the OT a bit cumbersome and not really designed for what you want, try something else, especially a synth that can replace the whole softsynth + FX part.
To choose a synth, the best way is to try it.
If you can’t, look at the UI, the dimensions, the look and feel, and the features.
Like I said earlier, it’s better to have a small synth that fit well your desk than a 61 keyboard thing you have to move everytime you want to switch on.

And yeah, the sh4d look like a great modern synth.

1 Like

“If all you’re using your DAW for is hosting softsynths that can be replaced by the synths in the SH-4D, then yeah, probably.”

Yes. But also the effects.

“I’ve no idea what the SH-4D does that can compare or compete with anything the Octatrack does though.”

Thats correct. The comparision might better be framed as DAW + Octatrack (the latter functioning as a loop player) versus SH-4D.

1 Like

Just to clarify. I’m not dissatisfied with my current setup, although I know that I’m not using OT to it’s full potential, of course. Sequencing softsynths with DT, sampling them into OT and let them play with the other hardware IS after all kind of a work around, since I haven’t seen any other possibility.

I just want the fat sounds of VST-synths and DAW-effects, AND the ability to control them with a really handy (elektron-like) sequencer.

I’m not even insisting on hardware. If anyone made a DAW with midi-control units that have the same work-flow and functions as Elektron-gear-sequencers I would prefer that any day. :slight_smile:

I’m in your situation but rather replacing my Digitone with SH-4D, keeping my OT.
It will also take the place of my Minitaur and AS-1. It’s kind of a no brainer since it has 60 voices of polyphony vs the Digitone+Minitaur+AS-1’s 10, plus can do VA, FM, Wavetable, and all that with EQ and FX per track. It will sound different, but my set will shed a few KG of weight and sound way more coherent due to being more ‘in the box,’ I think.

SH-4D isn’t a sampler, so it rather replaces the synths.
I’ll be sequencing it externally from Oxi, but sure, could be sequenced from Octatrack.

Octatrack will still play mixer, master effects, sample and stem launcher duties.

The sequencer on the Sh-4D is super limited. You can pretty much just enter notes. Not sure, but it may auto quantize? It definitely doesn’t have micro time shifting and p-locking looks too annoying to use.

Also, the effects sound nice, but you can only apply one effect per track, plus the three sends…

I dunno, it looks really cool, but if you’re already using a DAW, I’d stick to that.

Or check out Maschine, it’s the best hybrid setup I’ve ever used. Unlimited high quality and expandable synths/effects, super flexible sequencer and very easy to bounce to DAW.

Have you tried Ableton Push 2? It can record automation and edit parameter locks.

I would suggest the MC-707 is a better fit.

Same synth engine with the full Zen Core support, much more powerful sequencing and it can act as a 4 channel mixer and FX box. Obvs it’s bigger and more expensive, but easy to get secondhand.

1 Like

Have you considered the Roland MC-707?

It comes with more synth power than the SH-4d IIRC, many high quality FX, an Ableton-like clip and scene workflow, and is quite “performance” oriented with 8 tracks in parallel, faders and knobs.

Octatrak and a MC-707 may team up nicely :wink:

Oops … not the only one with this tip :smiley:

2 Likes

MC-707 is an interesting option! I watched the review from loopop and it seems the sequencer is pretty limited - just as sh-4d - when it comes to elektron-style stuff like trig conditions (yes mute prob, but not so much more?). Parameter locks is possible in motion seq i believe? But it’s limited to just some of the parameters, and is restricted to three parameters per step? Why? That’s such a shame. (Sqale per track is nice of course).

Had an electribe once and it was impossible for me to work with because the sequencer was terrible, and didn’t like the motion-seq at all (although it seems slightly better on the MC 707). Since then I’m used to (and spoiled by?) the elektron-workflow.

Machine and Push 2? Well, Push 2 seems nice, but then I have to go from Logic to learn Ableton (buying a pc?). A bit too time consuming and expensive i guess.

Machine seems also nice, but how is it when it comes to parameter automation, p-locking, trig conditions, etc.?

Don’t get me wrong of course. MC-707 looks insanely good when it comes to sounds and FX. I just wish they would have put a little more effort in the sequencing capabilities.

Any one tried to sequence MC-707 with the digitakt?

Also, the MC-707 is an interesting replacing alternative to my OT, since I’m pretty much just using it as a looper.

Other thoughts on sh-4d vs MC-707? Sh-4d should be superior in some way, no? Maybe more hands-on control, knobs, etc. (The choice not to make infinite knobs is also such a waste!)

Disclaimer: I know both only from the videos :wink:

Depends from what perspective you look.

The SH provides an interface of a classic subtractive synth. This is helpful if you want to dive directly and tweak the main paramters of the sound engine.

The MC-707 is more a composing, arranging and song-oriented instrument for studio and live performance.

From the videos I would say that the MC-707 has much more sound options for the synth and the FX section. To have sampling and looping as well makes this device quite complete.

If you are in sound-design, I suggest to check out both specs in more depth.

From a composing/arranging point of view I tend to prefer the MC-707.

Be aware the looper in the 707 works well, but is very limited in memory (90 seconds?)

1 Like

Following. SH4D looks great. Stock keeps getting postponed tho. For me; the OT is now a sketchpad as integrating it with a DAW just did not work and I tried it quite a bit. Combining them feels like I am underusing the strenghts of both the dAW and the OT,