Contemporary slang that slaps

My exwife started her sentences with ‘bet’

As in, ‘bet-ter get the hell away from me’ and ‘bet-ween you and me you’re an a$$hole’ and ‘bet-ting the divorce lawyer gets me all your money’

Short for “You bet.” Or “You can bet on it.”

Basically means yes/yeah/okay, but can also be used to mean understood/heard/gotcha.

I always wished there was an urban etymologies website, like there’s an urban dictionary, but instead of just defining slang it describes its origins and evolutions. I’m a big word nerd.

4 Likes

I finally discovered that lit means on fire.

I’m going to use all of this slang in front of my teenage niece’s & nephews over Christmas and watch them cringe.

Keep it coming

3 Likes

Slay

Cap, Rizz, on gang, Drip are all fun

2 Likes

Two piece and a coke

I’m a fan of yeeting things.

Feels more energetic than just chucking or lobbing it.

1 Like

I love him, what does that mean, jawn ?

Riffin on ‘baws’
Bawjaws
Cuntybaws
Bawbag
Shiteybaws
Bawheid
Etc

3 Likes

Russel Wilson’s post game presser?

1 Like
1 Like

Although I don’t use it I like got you it makes me feel like the person actually has my back although they probably don’t…

I like saying “drip” I just find it so funny

20 years ago that meant you had an STD…

1 Like

I went to college in Pennsylvania, and spent plenty of time in Philly. “Jawn” is basically a word that replaces “thing” as in “Pass me that jawn over there!”.

I think the majority of contemporary slang is dumb. Sadly (for me, haha), this is probably in a “old man shouts at clouds” way, as I’m 42. It’s probably because most of it is just truncated or abbreviated words coming from the text message generation. Any way to chop letters off leads to new, crappy words.

1 Like

I heard a piece on NPR about slang yesterday which focused on the word slay but I was too crunked on lean to remember what they said.