Contemporary slang that slaps

I like extra as it expresses a specific feeling while also being vague and can be subtly insulting without drawing an overtly acrimonious reaction but still leaving the possibility of such open. I think extra very much slaps in a cheeky passive aggressive way. So peeps, what do you think dawg?

1 Like

I like this word “cheugy.” I just learned about it in the last month, but apparently it was coined almost 10 years ago. It captures a smug, knowing “default aesthetic” that has bothered me for a while. I see it as not just “basic” but also sustaining a sort of bland hegemony of socially acceptable taste.

3 Likes

Some personal faves

• Goes hard - pretty much slaps

• Go off - encouraging, but can be sarcastic

• It’s giving… - with a comparison, a thoughtful way to offer praise

I like these and others, but I’m pretty judicious in usage. Otherwise, it sounds cartoonish.
Assembled in an overblown word salad:

It’s giving SOPHIE, bestie, for real, giving XCX, giving hyperpop banger vibes. Like go off, that bassline goes soooo hard.

3 Likes

I also adore “let’s goooo”. It needs no explanation. I grossly overuse it. It’s probably a bit dated (cheugy? :slight_smile: ) at this point, but I don’t care.

3 Likes

“ayo” - peaking interest

so simple but embodies a universal feeling

5 Likes

English: “the bits” - roughly equivalent to “hood” in US slang I guess.

Well, I’m pretty certain any contemporary slang terminology shared here will be at least 5 years old.

19 Likes

Love this one and its variatons:

• yo.
  • yoooooo
  • yohhhh

etc.

1 Like

Well contemporary art is defined by being made by a living artist, so the heading applies.

I like NYC slang that I picked up living there over 12 years ago.

“Brolic” or “O.D” meaning overpowered or strong or too much depending on context.

I’m also a fan of muthafucker and bitch. Two classics.

“This muthafucker is a straight BITCH up in here.”

3 Likes

Wasn’t it Matthew Barney who coined the term jawn?

I think this one is local to the Philadelphia area.

3 Likes

Hope it stays that way!

1 Like

Let’s ride, let’s ride.

1 Like

I’m guessing we don’t get jiggy wit’ it anymore?

Nah-nah nah nah nah nah-nah nah nah

4 Likes

As for extra I remember an argument between two brothers about that word. One insisted it was just short for extrovert, the other that it meant more than just that. That was 1990 at the latest. Stuck in my mind because it was my “huh? Extra?!” after one of them used it that started the discussion

2 Likes

Damn i thought that one was just a couple years old. I’m so out of the loop I must be cool.

1 Like

We’re on a web forum. Nothing is going to be new here :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Clearly not reading carefully, since you already said in in post #7. Where are my specs?

2 Likes

Big ups to swaggy web fora verbiage so lit it flips wigs greased like crisco.

3 Likes

Bet

1 Like

We Gucci

Prolly

This means good right, my kid says it all the time.