Controlling Volca FM "Programs" with Digitakt

I’m a pretty new owner of a Digitakt and a Volca FM and have run into something I can’t figure out.

Basically, I want to set MIDI Track A to use the Volca FM patch located in memory slot 1 and MIDI Track B to use the Volca FM patch located in slot 12. With the unofficial Volca FM 1.08 firmware, it’s absolutely possible to manually switch the patches using Digitakt by manually twisting the D knob on the SRC page of Digitakt. So, that’s a good start.

The problem is, I can’t get Digitakt to automate that change. For instance, if I’m using Volca FM Patch 1 on MIDI Track A and put that in my sequencer it will play the note from the Volca. If I tell Digitakt to load a different patch on MIDI Track B it plays from the same patch as MIDI Track A.

This is probably a limitation of the Volca FM, because I’ve definitely seem a demo on Youtube of someone doing this very thing with a Micromonsta. But wanted to see if anyone might have a tip on how to do this with the Volca.

Welcome to the forum!

The Volca FM can only use one patch at a time.

Are you running both tracks simultaneously?

Are you putting the PROG value in the default setting for the track or p-locking it on individual steps?

1 Like

Nope.

The former. I’m setting the PROG value.

There you go, it must be p-locked.

2 Likes

So, are you muting the track that you don’t want?

Also, let’s just check that you have set the correct MIDI channel number on DT MIDI Track B.

1 Like

MIDI Channel is correct.

I honestly hadn’t gotten that far. Just trying to automate the switching of patches is where I hit a dead end.

I don’t own a Digitakt, but I imagine that if you don’t stop Track A from playing, then its Program Change will continue to be sent.

Perhaps an alternative, if you find you need it, is to use two different patterns on the DT and use MIDI Track A on both to send the messages you want.

2 Likes

Volca FM receives prog change???
What firmware are you on? 1.8? 1.9?

The unofficial 1.08 and yeah, it takes PC with that firmware. Definitely worth the upgrade.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is right. What ended up working right away though was using p-locking on MIDI Track A.

I’m definitely going to try this as well!

Thank you for your help!

Hey I can’t figure out what midi cc to assign to a digitakt midi encoder to get the volca fm programs to change with 1.09 pajen update per changing digitakt pattern… any help with this would be greatly appreciated!