Convenient Arrangement (Lazy) - a study in the use of arrangement mode for a groovebox 'performance' video

this composition started off in a similar way to other recent ones that utilize live re-sampling, but I decided to use arrangement mode to pre-compose the pattern changes and majority of the scene changes, only utilizing performance gestures during the climax (scenes) and the outro (crossfader + transport). I used two patterns and 3 live re-sampling buffers.

the ‘hands-off’ aspect of leveraging arrangement mode encouraged me to take this as an opportunity play with the medium in order to poke some fun at the nature of groovebox performance videos

7 Likes

If you copy a pattern 4 times and assign each a different part, you can utilize the arranger’s length and offset parameters to sequence part changes per step within a pattern. :slight_smile:

Copying part and making small changes is easy to work with, but also you can meticulously program parts and carefully switch them at some exact intended time for some of the most next lev OT stuff with fully intentional results. Not to mention adding plocks to the patterns and scrutinously(is that a word?:joy:) thinking through how they will interact with the new part and programming accordingly , and what the parts active scenes are, midi tracks?, etc… haha. :smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: the word you may have been thinking of is ‘meticulously’ but I like that one a lot better! :laughing:

definitely a lot of ways to use arranger I’ve never even imagined! I think the method you’ve outlined might be the only way to do that with parts, since manually switching them can’t be quantized? :thinking: I kind of like the inconsistencies and variations produced by timing errors though, so if/when I get around to messing with parts in that way I’d most likely be interested in trying to exploit/enjoy the inaccuracies of manually changing parts mid-pattern :loopy:

this is the first time I’ve used arranger to do scene changes, but I did it in a very basic way here - mostly I’ve tended to use song mode on MD and arranger on OT (beyond basic chaining) for chopping up patterns and creating new patterns from bits of other ones. I think in general scene changes are more flexibly controlled by using MIDI loopback and storing the scene changes in the pattern itself, and then using MIDI track arranger mutes to mix up/disable that control stream if/when desired - arranger scene changes and MIDI loopback ones aren’t mutually exclusive so I’ve been thinking about that a bit lately, especially when considering to use arranger mode and I have a clear idea of how I want something to go after manually messing around with it for a while. Technically I could have programmed the whole thing and not have had to execute a single performance gesture if I utilized MIDI loopback - but that would have actually taken me more work than simply performing the ‘solo’ and outro :grin:

2 Likes

I already used meticoulously, I wanted another! :grin: I knew it wasn’t a word. :wink:
My tip kinda defeats the (lazy) in your post, but I thought you might be up for it! At least at some point…

1 Like

:rofl: I’ll plead that I was too focused on ‘scrutinously’ to notice anything else :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to give this one a go as i’m…lazy.