CPU or APU for DAW?

The title says it all: I’m thinking about a pure audio-system, ITX-format.

AMD has this APUs, in theory this should be enough for a DAW, so no GPU is needed

My fear is, that any kind of graphics, even in a DAW with the plugins maybe interfering with sound-processing but i don’t have any experience

32GB Ram, 1 TB SSD

Opinions?

My fear is, that any kind of graphics, even in a DAW with the plugins maybe interfering with sound-processing but i don’t have any experience

This won’t happen.

4 Likes

You’ll be absolutely fine with a modern processor and onboard graphics.

3 Likes

ya the in-bedded graphics processing on any of the modern mid tier and up APU’s are MORE than capable of handling anything graphically for 99% of most computing applications including music production. You can even game modern PC titles on moderate settings with almost all the APU chipsets out there.

The bottle necks that a music production rig will run into is CPU processing threads, RAM, your audio interface (which is the most important to me). The CPU/RAM bottle necks typically only present themselves in underpowered systems when tracking with lots of VSTs and software effects. As far as actually processing sound, the DAW itself doesn’t typically need a whole lot of juice. As I stated, for sound quality concerns you need to be way more worried about your interface since that is what determines the “maxium goodness” of your output.

2 Likes

I haven’t had a dedicated graphics card for years. When I read about people having issues with audio dropouts in their DAW it’s often related to graphics card drivers so IMO it may even be an advantage to avoid getting one. Using onboard graphics will use some of your RAM but I’ve got 32GB and it’s easily enough for me - obviously it depends on how may sample libraries you use etc.

2 Likes

you don’t need to worry

1 Like

Only worry when this https://www.gpu.audio/
Is going to be a big succes.

You’ll have to stick to their plugins then. You only need to worry when major plugin manufacturers will go that way or manufacturer of DAW you use. Actually you don’t need to worry at all - you need to be glad that there is something new and more powerful is developing…

I use two DAW today, reason 11 and Live 10.
They run on a intel Xeon 1680 a 8 core 16t chip from 2012 with 16G of ram and an external video card from Nvidia.

I can run multiple instance of the arturia collection 9 without any issue.
Latency is at 128 reducing that will dropout.
The only VST which make the box suffer is the Virus VST. And I guess it’s the most demanding VST right now.

If a old box like mine is able to do the tricks. I guess a recent AMD APU will do it.

even though there is no difference in interference, id say APU is better for a daw machine
reason being, all grunt of daw is on the cpu anyway, so no need for a dedicated gpu
(you still need any gpu to video out - desktop and daw)
you save money on gpu that you can spend on more ram, cpu or cooling system
its generally less power consumption too, less heat, less fan noise
so that in the future, if you want to mic something up, you dont have any excessive physical noise

if you are building a windows pc for DAW use, look at Intel NUC lineup, id say its perfect for that

1 Like

Different experience here. 12th gen intel build w windows 11 and plenty of ram. With the integrated gpu, lots of crackles from UI once cpu usage gets higher. Dropped in a vintage Radeon card I had lying around and problem solved. Not sure exactly why but in my particular case, using a dedicated gpu bought me a lot of headroom.

Thank you all for your inputs :+1:

Any PU except GPU is a good PU for your DAW. Graphics in a DAW are nothing considered to video applications* or games. With a dedicated GPU your system might even be noisier and more power wasteful.

(*) unless you write music for video or film :wink: