Cre8audio East Beast & West Pest

My Microvolt came with switchable prongs.

2 Likes

If you find someone who can, let me know. Only thing stopping from getting the west pest is how gross it looks

1 Like

Some people will think of their music gear as tools and tools alone. They will judge it solely on its features and sonic capabilities. They will make the decision to buy or not buy on its sound and usability, putting zero thought to its look, color, or graphics.

Others won’t.

I can design it as it’s in my line of work, but I can’t source the proper materials for a custom faceplate, let alone know how to assemble it. most of my design knowledge is ironically ‘in the box’

They are both hideous. What was their graphics department thinking of? This really puts me off.

This is the info I got when I was talking to somebody about designing some custom faceplates myself:

The place we use is in Germany and there’s a good place in Poland, even despite Brexit we never found a decent UK source.

​They insist on 50 minimum though and really want 100 runs minimum. Sometimes they might be more open to 50 if say you’re ordering multiple designs and say 300+ panels at once.

Probably not the news you were after I appreciate, the economies of scale surprise people, but it costs the companies pretty the much same time and money to machine 1 panel as it does 50, all the cost is in the machine setup each time, material is cheap. That’s why single panel prices at places like https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/ are so eye-watering.

This place can be good for small quantities though if you’re not in a rush - https://www.resynthesis.shop/ - they’re not a commercial outfit though, so you have to be patient… sometimes very patient.

The latter website is no longer trading :slightly_frowning_face:

Edit: I did a crude template with the Schaeffer designer tool and the cost would be around €60 per panel - and that’s the same if you’re ordering 1 or 100 :upside_down_face:

tbh that would only make the total cost with the synth £260 I kinda feel like that’s worth it… like, ignore what you’re paying for the panel and consider the total it’s still a bargain, and would look like it cost 3 times the price

2 Likes

My preorder for East Beast showed up on my credit card as ICONNECTIVITY. Seems like a good clue to who Cre8audio are.

1 Like

I posted about that up above.

1 Like

Having read both manuals, the interface of the two overlaps enough, that buying, learning, and using both together, makes a lot of sense. ( Especially given the small delta in price, between one and two. )

This could be as simple as just using each individually. But mixing and patching parts from each seems a good thing too. The WP oscillators with the EB filters, for instance. BoBeats does a little of this in his video.

Both have the same 4 LED interface for instance, and keys with two separate shift buttons, and no doubt the firmware development has benefitted from the common elements.

Each carries a lot power in 40 HP. To me they’re both in a class with the Moog Mother 32, though closer in price to the Behringer Crave, but not in competition with either. Both the EB and the WP, would fit very nicely at the center of a very small Eurorack system, with some generalized utility modules around them.

5 Likes

The West Pest seems like it’s going to be essential, and most likely the East Beast too:

5 Likes

Yeah East Beast seems pretty damn good and West Pest seems great! I feel some GAS brewing for that one.

3 Likes

Spent some time today playing around with an alternative panel design for the East Beast

11 Likes

Me like. Where do I buy? Care to make one for the West Pest? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:grin: tbh it’s tempting to have some made up after some refinements. Wouldn’t be cheap though :frowning:

Definitely doing one for the Pest I have some ideas for that one already (I don’t find the OG design quite as offensive on that one though haha)

I added your design to modulargrid to see how that would look in a full rack. It looks great even though I mostly prefer black modules. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would look pretty sick in black/gold … if I’m bored later I’ll do an alt of the alt :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes even better!
I’m planning to buy the Endorphines black/golden Shuttle system and a black/golden West Pest would be nice one to add I think. Maybe you could add some small funny drawing things like a wesp on acid (no idea what that would look like) or other crazy things as Endorphines did with their shuttle system. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Really great to see these affordable synths out that sound like a fantastic value. I’m still on my no gear challenge but can see getting both next year to pair with my DFAM and 0-coast office desktop studio.

3 Likes

Would love that overlay!

1 Like

I don’t think the white and yellow on gray is working very well,at least not for my eyes. I switched the gray for black and things read a lot better. Gold on black is the coolest though imo.