Creative Software Mangling Samplers

M1 16 gig macbook pro.

I do not think cycles detects root note and keys. It needs a 4 bar sample as well. So I prep by first dragging into an ableton track, make the sample 4 bars and detect the key. It then lets you pick the key to drag the sample onto, so I just pick that and it maps from there.

2 Likes

What happens if the sample is less than four bars? E.g. what if it’s 1.5 bars of my kids screaming random gibberish?

Well Cycles is set up to do 4 bar loops. So I am guessing that it will only play the first 4 bars, or it may try and play them all which could end up with very cool results. Tough call, like I said this thing is deep and I am just learning how to use it.

1 Like

Me too. :smiley:

I am listening through the “Studies” videos as I do some admin stuff for work. :frowning:

1 Like

@BassesAndPads Too much to hope that you have an NI Komplete kontroller and could tell me how the parameters are mapped? :slight_smile:

No I don’t have that controller but I imagine it should be easy to map. Let us know if you mess with that.

1 Like

I will. I just tried out Auras + Colours on my little keys (M32) and it is pretty solid, but I haven’t tried either yet on the full size, 49 key one with all the blinky lights.

I have to say, even a (very) small portion of what Cycles can do is what I want to do with the Morphagene. Yes, hardware vs. software, but still. The latter is sadly the way forward for me these days. Cycles is pretty damn crazy.

1 Like

Yep I had the Morphagene and sold it a while back. Sold my entire modular setup. I think Cycles is far more powerful and easier to use than the Morphagene since we can just drag samples into it. The morphagene made pull out a mini SD, load samples in, label them properly…It was a lot. Plus it was like 2x the price of Cycles…lol.

Morphagene is super cool. It and the Octatrack got me going down this style of production and I never really looked back. But some of the plugins now like Cycles and those newer really advanced AI splitters have just changed the game for me.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the fence lately about whether modular is for me. It’s very cerebral at times, and I just ain’t got as many brain cells to devote to this stuff as I would like. Not that Cycles isn’t a brain buster, but at least I can save my work and come back to it later. I was not a fan of the Morphagene UI, but I really like what it can do!

1 Like

those AI splitters should be in this thread as well, who’s got the best quality these days besides lalala

Looks like nobody’s mentioned Sector on iOS yet, but I think it definitely deserves a namecheck. It’s not granular, but it’s easy to grasp and capable of getting quite complex (and chaotic), and of course doesn’t have to be limited to processing breaks and beats.

3 Likes

I think because we were talking mostly desktop/laptop.

1 Like

Does Choreographs run on iPads?

this is the response I got back from the Novum Developer,

"The current version of Novum does not have such a “smart randomisation” function as you are asking for.
But a feature like this is planned for an update, where you have “locks” in the UI that can exclude sections from being changed when switching presets or doing randomization.

There is however something that can achieve similar goal (which is to create inspiring variations of a preset):
There are two lock symbols for the envelopes and the timbres. When these locks are active and you switch preset all the other parameters will be changed, but the timbres and/or envelopes are held locked.
In this way you can import a sample, and then browse through presets and will get tons of meaningful variations of your sample as instruments with all kind of settings / modulations taken from presets."

and like mentioned earlier the demo is uninterrupted for 90 days… (who does that)
I wouldn’t want to live in a world without these geniuses

2 Likes

nothing worse than audio mangling demos with already mangled source material but nice overview, I think there has been a significant update since this video

which one of of these are you good people using

1 Like

RipX is the best one I have used.

2 Likes

I wish this guy did the demos for every plugin in this thread… this is how you do it

I slept on the small detail in this post that you can drag and drop samples into Choreographs. Holy smokes. The possibilities.

Slate and Ash is going to have all my money with this sale. Choreographs is like an entire modular system to explore (if one wants to think of it that way).

it’s great, you can get granular stuff too, go through the study section of the S+A website. I wish I could take all the clever triggering, modulation apps and harmonies and send it out to other things, but if it is MIDI, it can’t leave Kontakt, so all that magic has to stay triggering the sounds inside Choreographs (and Landforms and Cycles which also allow you to drop your own user sounds in).

1 Like