Creative Software Mangling Samplers

doubt it, it runs inside Native Instruments Kontakt player

Yeah, I was wondering that as I was listening to demos! :smiley:

Too bad, but still looks amazing.

Ni Playbox has some cool sample mangling features. I suspect most people just use the built in sample library due to it being pretty unique and high quality. I like the sample layering ability it has, especially the ability to layer different types of background noise onto normal samples. It’s sort of like having a mic’ed room recording of whatever you put into it. All that said, don’t pay the retail price ($199) for it. I would only get if you’re willing to shell out for the full version of Komplete. It’s also available with their subscription. I’m sure you can try it out for free. Playbox, Noire and Battery make the bundle worth the package price for me.

2 Likes

Yeah it is funny, I always think I am not a huge NI fan but then I realize I use their Raum verb as my go to 3rd party reverb and their Delay as my 3rd party delay. Their sample libraries and 3rd party stuff like Reaktor and Cycles is top notch. I have heard they have some amazing vocal sample libraries as well.

so I upgraded to an M2 Pro machine today and all the S+A plugins I have fly now, it’s ridiculous, not just a little better, it’s like my old computer was 10 years old in comparison. Seems like I just needed to move on from intel.

2 Likes

Yeah it is night and day on my M1 MB pro. I can run multiple instances of the Slate + Ash plugs with no problems. I have cycles running on a full project now because I forgot to delete it after I bounced audio and the project is still cruisiing with zero CPU issues.

2 Likes

so now that I’ve heard that the other slate and ash plugs import samples as well, is cycles really the best one to use with your own samples?

edit: never mind, definitely Cycles is the one.

1 Like

Novum is on sale at Plugin Boutique for those interested.

You’re right, the inbuilt sounds are ace. I love how they somewhat captured the Burial vibe with that preset. But yeah I should probably start throwing my own sounds in there and see what it does.

Oh wow, how long is the sale for, that’s a great price?

It doesn’t seem to say, but the last sale was maybe 2 weeks? So there’s a little time if you’re interested. I’m only just into the trial so I could use a little more time to assess it. I’ve spent the last hour just making drones with it out of vocals. I love the way you use it to chip away and find sounds within a sound.

1 Like

I was gonna start the trial next week, but that’s a tempting price

I like Novum but Cycles and Choreographs is a lot to chew on as it is. I think I will stick with those for now and make some tracks. Interested in how you all get along with Novum over the weeks.

1 Like

Early days, but I think from my experiment it sounds more spectral than granular (which is probably a good thing.) That means while it does excel at making clouds like most granular synthesisers do, it looks like it has a softer natural sound, as it’s really just revealing the layers within a sound. So I guess to your point earlier in the thread, it looks and works somewhat like a granular device, but it can sound either like a spectral or a granular cloud tool.

a free oldie but goodie I was reminded of today