Cryptocurrency

While wa are at it: A brilliant read on “web3” and how things are actually made more complex as they should be:

By former Signal CEO Moxin Marlinspike. He left Signal before they started all this Crypto nonsense btw.

Yeh, this is exactly why i and many others run servers specifically for ipfs. It’s a non issue.

fair enough, I am a huge fan of the idea behind ipfs, but it does not require a blockchain. It can also be used with other types of hashes.

Anyhow: Did you actually read the article? And is your only take here that ipfs makes it possible (but way slower) to have an accessible decentralized network, but you just ignore all other aspects that are criticized?

As a side note, the global smart city market size was 1226.9 B USD last year. Its projected to grow at an annual compounded rate of 24%.

P.S i’ve read it before

There is no good reason to do this on an immutable distributed ledger based on hash functions. The only reason to use a blockchain for this is hype.

2 Likes

Negative. Immutability is a specific requirement for a lot of clients.

Ah right, giant IT services companies have never been known to push customers to get onboard the latest hype train, so they can sell them an overpriced, overengineered solution.

2 Likes

But why do trashcans in Amsterdam need immutable data :rofl: ?

1 Like

lolz. It’s pretty simples. Only the IPFS CID gets stored on chain, IPFS handles the data. It’s Smart Contracts.

To prevent subcontracted bin collection companies from claiming they emptied a bin when they didn’t, I assume. Not sure why a blockchain is the right solution though. You can have append-only systems without all the other stuff that a blockchain implies, like secure attestation etc.

1 Like

That’s what I was getting at :slight_smile:

There is, as you have mentioned, other solutions, which are totally doable and might need less ressources than blockchain based „solutions“.

Shit’s getting real nerdy up in here…

3 Likes

That’s why I switched to the Cthulhu thread, to deal with more down to earth topics :grin:

2 Likes

In order to inferface AI, IOT and machine learning within the framework of the donut model, IPFS with onchain integration is key. I do not see the same potential with secure attestation.

Seems like the conversation has veered to digital trash. No idea what / who Cthulhu is, but does it/she/he/they fall into that category? Sincere question.

its a wavetable synth used mostly for making digital trash :rofl:

3 Likes

So experiencing a comeback, rather like wavetable synthesis - cue hilarity emojis.

2 Likes

life expectancy in russia (1988): 69
life expectancy in russia (2003): 65

2003 is not now, 2023 is now, where life expectancy is 73.

Struggling to understand your point.