Cubase asio guard with AR, A4 & AH

Anyone use Cubase 8.x and Overbridge here? It works fine but I am a bit confused over an issue with the Asio Guard. When using AR & A4 I have to have Asio Guard on, for it not to crackle and distort. But with AH I have to have Asio Guard off for it not to distort.

Is this odd?

doesnt make much sense because it isnt even used on Overbridge to begin with

ASIO Guard cannot be used for

• real time dependent signals
  • VST Instruments using specific controllers (z.B. Maschine by Native Instruments)
  • VST editors/plug-ins used to control external sound modules and effects
  • External FX and instruments
  • Plug-ins using the VST Bridge

For what it’s worth, Access advise not using with Virus Ti (arguably similar mechanism to Overbridge).

True, but it is the only setting I have to change to make them work… God knows… :slight_smile: Thanks though!

I seem to remember some where in an OB manual that they adviced it to be turned off… but then this happens :slight_smile: Well well, no big deal :slight_smile:

Probably obvious, but - have you tried just increasing the buffer size?

Thank you, but yes, I’ve tried all kinds of buffers.

It’s not glitching like buffer hick-ups, it’s just simply noisy and not working. If I turn on (or off, depending on what machine I will use) it will work flawlessly.

it may be affecting other VST fx or plugins on those channels besides Overbridge

but ultimately i think the issue is buffer size, as Purusha says… when it comes to dropouts (distorts and crackles), it is almost always a buffering problem… like 99% of the time

it says

This is where ASIO Guard sets in. The aim is to become as independent as possible from the strict ASIO real time requirements. Whenever there is CPU time left despite the required real time processing, the upcoming buffer blocks are pre-calculated to have them available for the next ASIO block cycle. Under certain circumstances, this method can stabilize or even increase the resources available for audio processes.

The effect on the overall performance not only depends on the hardware environment but also the specific use case. For instance, audio channels that are monitor enabled cannot be pre-calculated and have to be processed in the time-critical real time path leaving fewer resources for ASIO Guard.

so turning it on or off wont affect Overbridge at all - but whenever it is on, it will try to adjust the buffering on the fly

what I would suggest to you is to just turn it off and leave it off all the time - and then manually set a proper buffer size in your settings menus

1 Like

Very odd then that with AR and A4 it will only work with the Asio Guard set to on and on AH only with it set to off. I have adjusted buffer size with no difference in outcome, and it doesn’t really sound like buffer drops, as it’s constant distortion (I probably described it poorly)

Thanks for the input anyways :slight_smile:

the other thing i forgot to mention is that the typical problem is that your buffer size is set too small… giving the computer a larger buffer size to work with makes it easier on the machine… the smaller the buffer, the less audio delay there is… so when its larger there is more delay… but sometimes you just gotta live with a bit more delay in these situations

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s not a big problem. As it works as long as I just switch the Asio Guard on / off depending on which machine I use. I run on a fairly low buffer and it doesn’t falter, or crackle or any typical buffer over-run glitches as long as I switch the AG on / off as described. I just found it odd that OB on AR and A4 reacts differently than on AH on my system.

Oh, and when I say Cubase 8 I mean 9… haha :stuck_out_tongue:

what im trying to say is that Asio Guard manipulates the buffering size when you turn it on… the buffering becomes variable depending on its own caching process and pre-calculations…

but im pretty sure you can just set the buffer yourself to accomodate the sequencer boxes instead of using it…

but whatever works for you, its your world dude

I understand what you say, but the OB doesn’t work if it’s set ON with AH (no matter if I change buffer size, turn AG on / off / on whatever) - and it also doesn’t work if the opposite is true with AR and A4…

Cheers :wink: