CV-able rack gear

I’m just getting to know my Cirklon and was setting up the CVIO interface the other day, when it dawned on me that I could probably control some of my rack gear with a 5V gate via the standard audio inputs for threshold/sidechain.

Here I’m using my good old NS-50 stereo guitar gate as a reverb send control, every other snare is sent to the reverb:

And here the reverb is being sidechained by a 5V gate through the RNC:

Fun and pretty powerful! When you can just throw down a step trigger on the Cirklon to control the gear like that, the rack units turn into modular modules. :yum:

Is anyone else doing similar stuff? What other rack gear do you know that can take gates/triggers/CVs?

This should be fully doable with the Analog 4, too. And of course the Analog Heat has assignable CV inputs.

Would love to hear more ideas.

PS: Sorry for crap audio, just a quick showcase.

1 Like

Yes I have done it with a bunch of stuff, a lot of 80’s rack units had trig/gate/cv ins, a lot of fx pedals/units have expression pedal inputs which can be used as CV ins with suitable cable and knowing the voltage levels (usually 5v max) ARmk2 and A4mk2 have exp inputs which can be learned to CV.

Good fun!

2 Likes

I have an old Digitech RDS-3600 (crunchy 80s 8-bit rack delay unit) which has a 0-5v CV input for control of delay time. Never tried to modulate it via CV, but I really should.

2 Likes

BOSS RPS-10 has I think 2 different CV inputs

I just found this video the other day - Experimental Textures with the BOSS RPS-10! - YouTube

3 Likes

Would be cool to hear an example! Does it go into Quadraverb-like Karplus-Strong?

Cool, will have a look at that one!

Can’t remember TBH. It’s been out of commission for a few years now because it won’t power on. I’m pretty sure it’s just the power supply (huge non-standard wart) acting up, so I ought to just get on with the troubleshooting and bring it back to life.

This discussion made me pull it out and give it a look-see. Bad contact points in the power supply as suspected. A bit of fiddling and it’s alive! Got my crunch back. Will report back re: CV control.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a cool looking unit! Love those cream push buttons. :smiley:

ESL’s Vertice Analog Filterbank II

It sounds awesome and you can control all filters via CV

Wow, great looking filter. And I want to buy the Vertice simply to reward ESL for such a cool manual. Here are some snippets:

The VERTICE is shipped with the following items:
• the VERTICE itself. If it’s a bag full of potatoes please return it to customer service. :slight_smile:
• some big-sized warning note and internal connections conceptual scheme
• a not finished “authenticity sample” of the wood we use for side panels (optional), for touch, smell and chemical-analysis fans

The philosopher says:
• Vertice is preeminently creative: is not a surgery bistoury, is not a totally controllable machine. It has a sort of inner will. No traces of MIDI, nor facility for patch memory. You must deserve your tones, like with a violin

1 Like

Yes, Stefano is very proud of his manual :slight_smile: and very passionate about his project. I also like how he’s offering 2 types of hardware inside the box, either modern or vintage with components he collected over decades. Boxes start at 2.5k€.
Here is a video from earlier this month:

1 Like