Cycles Takes Over

Can someone explain why Cycles is always tryna take over as my soundcard, and how I can get that to stop happening? Thx.

Because it can be a soundcard. But could you share a tidbit more about your setup? It´s difficult to do a remote analysis, without knowing your setup.

At the moment I’m using Logic Pro on a MacBook Pro. At times I use Ableton although I havent noticed this behavior in that DAW.
If I am in a Logic project and then try to use Cycles by using an External Midi channel, when I power on Cycles, it will take over as my Soundcard automatically. I then have to go into the Audio Preferences in Logic to switch it back to my soundcard.

This kinda seems like an Apple thing. I know on iOS anything plugged in last takes over, although you can only have one active sound source / output at a time. I wonder if Logic is following that paradigm (but maybe Mac OS and Live do not…)

1 Like

There should be a prompt asking if it’s okay for it to be audio input.

Trust me, there isn’t. a notification comes up to inform of that it’s switching, but there isn’t any way to stop it from happening. I think iammane is right though; it’s a Mac OS thing. I intentionally turned on my NI Maschine after opening a project and the same thing happened. This is a recent phenomenon; I’ve been using Logic for a LONG time and this never happened before recently.

Sounds like another of these instances where apple thinks it s making our lives better by automating another thing for us. Given that ableton doesn t do this, as we d want from a DAW, it seems like it s apple s implementation of it.

No setting hidden somewhere in Logic to stop it?

I’ll have a look around to see.

I’ve never had this happen on macOS.

Plug it in, set something else as the default I/O, and then remove it, perhaps? Or use an aggregate device that includes it as an input/output.

2 Likes

ya I’ve never had that happen. I DO have it ask if I like to make [said device] the main audio input.
I was just reading this as I was typing an answer and was going to suggest what @pselodux suggested. make an aggregate. that should keep you from auto switching.

2 Likes