Damon Albarn's Studio

15 Likes

Had so much stuff so had to get a bigger building. This dude is all of us.

10 Likes

cept I was never in blur or gorillaz :sweat:

2 Likes

10 Likes

Haha the interviewers reaction had me laughing. If I had any video editing skills I’d replace the blowing sound with a fart sound right before he goes “wow, sounds great”.

7 Likes

zane is a funny dude, whenever his cheesiness gets too much his encyclopedic knowledge base brings you back

that Lou Reed story is funny and insightful, … the process

2 Likes

thats one giant whip it.

I was a big Velvet Underground fan growing up and was heart broken when I started reading about what a prick he was. Him and Frank Zappa supposedly did not like each other (well more like Reed would talk shit about Zappa’s music), so I was super surprised when he inducted Zappa posthumously into the R&R Hall of Fame. Not surprised to hear how much of a twat he was to work with.

yeah Miki Berenyi’s memoir has not a lot of great things to say about the Blur lads (or most of the other britpop boys at the time)

I dont want to hear f*ck all about using presets or loops anymore!

I’m going so hard on presets now… that begininning is enough to feel validated that its okay to make art and music BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!

Thank you @captain8 for sharing this!

I saw the Gorillaz here in Chicago during thier last tour… it was an amazing show!

11 Likes

nice. Looking forward to watching this.
I loved think tank and the first two gorillaz.

You don’t need to watch a video of anyone to validate your own choice to use presets , whether it’s someone who’s had success or someone with none - neither is better than the other.

Many popular tracks use presets , entire genres are defined by presets. Many groundbreaking albums use presets. Who gives a #### ( as they say in the uk )

2 Likes

Definitely going to sit fired and watch this one.

I don’t think Albarn quite gets the credit he deserves in some quarters. Gorillaz continue to surprise too - Song Machine was great. Must be nearly 25 years they’ve been going - one of the few bands/acts that came on the scene when I was hoovering up all the music I could get in my mid/late teens and are still going putting out fantastic material.

2 Likes

They say hashtag hashtag hashtag hashtag in the U.K.? That’s bonkers!

7 Likes

As a massive Damon Albarn fan, this was the best interview I’ve ever seen with him.

The biggest revelation for me is him saying that he wrote a lot of Elastica’s early riffs on that tiny keyboard thing.

He’s admitted in the past to playing keys on their debut album, but I think this is the first time he’s revealed on record that he was involved in the songwriting process.

4 Likes

well, the internet is a weird place and i might get reported for typing fuck.

1 Like

I think DA is a genius. He’s been involved in so much over the years, always changing styles and trying new stuff. I went to see this when it debuted in Manchester, it was fantastic. Shame there’s not a proper recording of the whole thing.

1 Like

My father left when I was baby… seeking constant validation is hard wired into this grown ass latch key kid.

2 Likes

'Cause he was intimidated by your potential greatness :muscle:

papi

10 Likes

love you Nate!

3 Likes