Dancing, at my age

I came up being into industrial dance music and used to go out to several club nights a week in my 20s (big scene in Portland in the 90’s) and now decades later we still go out to D&B and retro/goth/industrial nights here in FL every month or so.

It helps that most of the music that makes me actually want to dance originated in the 80’s and 90’s… so lots of people our age, people half our age and everywhere in between come out.

5 Likes

I’m 40 and never stopped dancing. I know that’s not super old, but sometimes I feel old when I look around the dancefloor, although for the most part I’m just out enjoying music and don’t care. I end up meeting younger people when out and they’re often like “oh you’re 40? I’m impressed you’re here so late”, as if I’m “a visitor” in their scene, which I think is hilarious because I’ve likely been going out dancing since the time some of these kids were born. I just never stopped, and don’t intend to.

I live in LA, and most of the events I go to are warehouse parties, but sometimes I end up at clubs too. I prefer the dark, dirty warehouse vibe than the douchy overdressed vibe at a club. Either way, I don’t dress up. I don’t try to look cool. I just have a couple drinks and dance.

To me dancing is like an active form of meditation. I need to do it and I highly recommend it, regardless of age.

11 Likes

Sage advice.

3 Likes

I’m fourty three years old, and go dancing every few months. Last year I did Cuckoo (Nottingham trance night) a few times, the Above and Beyond festival in London, and a few other things, including a forest rave in Derbyshire.

If you struggle to stay awake, there are solutions, ranging from an afternoon nap and an 8pm coffee, to stronger alternatives.

There’s loads in Leeds, will post later with options.

3 Likes

Oh and am often one of the youngest on the dance floor.

3 Likes

Anywhere that won’t let me in wearing skate shoes can’t be bothered with and there is no way in hell I am going to stand in a line!

3 Likes

I think it’s a mistake to consider your age outside of declining energy which if anything will increase with exercise which most of us don’t get enough of. Take a nap before you go out, have a nutritious dinner and drink plenty of water throughout the night and listen to your body. As I’ve gotten older I’ve become more aware of what my body is telling me and I’m sure you have too. And I know plenty of people 50+ who can go harder than most 20 year olds. Finally, don’t be agist with yourself!

2 Likes

There’s an event in Manchester called Do One. It finishes at midnight. All walks of life there and a real mixed bag of music, though mostly funk, disco, broken beat etc. Nice people, nice vibes. I’m 43 and see people over 60 and under 25 there. Same with a night called cosmic slop in Leeds. If you’re ever made to feel unwelcome when going out dancing it says nothing about you and everything about where you are.

1 Like

TL;DR: never stopped. i’m 47.

3 Likes

The other thing to mention is that you will probably feel more tired than you used to, for the next few days. That’s just normal. But, tiredness will quickly fade, and memories will remain.

1 Like

I forgot to add: stay away from powder at all costs!

1 Like

v good suggestion, but it could be better to stay until late Monday/early Tuesday to take advantage of a sunday night dancefloor :).

i’m 34, still dance as much as i possibly can, more than i ever have. it is sacred. this is very location-specific, of course, but i’m in berlin and to me it’s a big red flag if a party doesn’t have many people over 35. whether they’re true scene veterans or trying for the first time, i am always very happy to see older (40+) people on the dancefloor.

1 Like

I know they’ve moved from the West Indian Centre since I was in Leeds circa 1996-2004 but Iration Steppas gigs always used to be really wide ranging in terms of the crowd - definitely plenty of older peeps anyway.
Plus second room is usually dubstep or jungle, so if you don’t want to have your ribcage crushed by bass while someone sings Jah praises, there’s something for you too.

they don’t start early though, I think you just have to have a disco nap at about 5pm when you start getting a bit weary.

(44, still dancing, although definitely prefer outdoors to clubs now)

First I’d heard of that…thanks for the head’s up. Didn’t know about MAP charity. They can thank you for my donation.

I’ll be in LA for work the in Feb, covers two weekends…maybe I should have my dance re-awakening there?

2 Likes

I’m 50 this year, I still go to techno, drum n bass and electro nights. Usually only 4-5 times a year, and usually can’t make it past about 3am. But that’s normally enough time to hear 1-2 warm up sets - I really love warm up sets - and whoever is headlining. And to dance badly in the dark without a care for a few hours.

I wouldn’t be without it, does wonders for my mental health!

I also like the daytime events thought, went to Hacienda 40 recently and saw 808, Mondays & Orbital (all live), some great DJs, and was home eating toast on my sofa by 1am, winner! Plus I was certainly not the oldest there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was it Bez?

1 Like

Ha! There were definitely a good few 60+ in the crowd for sure

1 Like

There’s a german saying that goes like “they who rests, rusts”.

4 Likes

An event my friend currently puts on:

1 Like

Now I would like to hear it in German! (I understand the tiniest bit of German, I like the language)

1 Like