DAPs, Android or not?

Hello all

Topic about Digital Audio Players.

My Fiio M3 is reaching the end of its life; buttons don’t always react and it freezes up now and then.
Repairing is not an option so i will soon need a replacent and i’d like to read about your experiences with DAPs.
Not sure if go for android OS (only to install foobar2000 and feel “at home”, using it since many years on my computers) or go for DAPs with other, propietary OSes like Fiio, some HiBy etc.

Anyone uses or used Android-based DAPs and non-Android? Is it true that Android is less than ideal for its audio performance (regardless of the DAC) or not? How was your experience?

I will look at entry-level DAPs, no Anstell & Kern or other premium brands, since it’s just for travelling/commuting. Using Sennheiser IE40 IEMs , also no high-end earbuds, but good enough for my needs.

Using the smartphone to listen to music on the go is not an option, i want a dedicated device with no distractions.

1 Like

Regarding sound quality and price, I’m quite content with my Hidizs AP80 Pro. The user interface is not as sleek as on Fiio devices, but it’s usable and if you’re not using any of the extra features (FM radio etc.) it’s serviceable.
It even has BT aptX, I just can’t get it to work reliably. Seems to be an issue with BT channels available in Germany.
Anyway, can’t complain for ~150 EUR.

2 Likes

i also havent had luck with most of the bluetooth integration on mine but i just chalked that up to typical bluetooth struggles and used a cable ever since. ive been happy with mine for the most part too