Debating a Digitakt vs Model Samples vs Rytm MK2

Hello all, I don’t post too often so if this should be somewhere else or what not let me know and I apologize in advance

I am currently considering grabbing a used digitakt for around $620 shipped, never really bought a hardware sampler before but have used drum machines and would be using it primarily as a Drum Machine but also probably to get some samples from other gear (moog werkstatt, microfreak) and eventually play them polyphonically (probably having to use a RK-002 cable im assuming.

That said, the Samples is a bunch cheaper and probably does most of what I need it to do as I could just record clips of my synths and then bring them back into the model samples. I am not really doing anything too fancy as I mostly write post-punk/shoegaze/darkwave and would mostly be using samples from classic drum machines.

With all that said, is it worth me springing the extra cash for the digitakt? The idea of being able to record samples and mess with them using elektron effects is appealing (my main keyboard is a digitone keys) but at the same time the more fiscally responsible thing for me to do probably would be to go for the model samples, or just continue to use stuff like Sitala and a DAW which is free but forces me to work on a PC. Both would be able to use conditional triggers to do fills and whatever else which would provide a good amount of variety I assume but apart from being able to record live samples and 8 tracks as opposed to 6, would a digitakt work out decently for me? If I would be able to use it to make huge cocteau twins - like sounding drums with effects and what not then it would be worth the extra money I think., especially if it would be able to serve as something I could use to further get inspired. I had a TR-8S not too long ago which I liked but ultimately I found it a bit limiting and a bit of a pain to get samples to work with.

Bought a Model Samples as my first piece of music hardware/gear ever, its a really nice and intuitive machine with more knobs, but I still felt really limited even as a sketchpad. I sold it after three months and I upgraded to buying a digitakt off craigslist, which I wish I went with in the first place for the sampling alone and using overbridge(which I didn’t think I would use). I think from the sounds of it, you want a Digitakt and it was worth paying the extra money for it 100%.

4 Likes

Yeah overbridge is great, only 6 tracks does seem really limiting.

I think it makes a huge difference if you’re sampling directly into the machine you’re composing with compared to having to use other machines and/or software to transfer stuff. If you already plan to play polyphonically, well, maybe neither of those will be the right bride. :confused: The digitakt would look beautiful next to your digitone keys, though.

2 Likes

Being able to play polyphonically isn’t a total deal breaker, though from what I understood its possible with a special midi cable

…sounds like, u wanna sample stuff…

if so, u got no choice…m:s uses samples, has more direct expression knobs hands on, even some kind of pads, but it will never sample on it’s own…

so u can buy a nice drum machine…
or a nice sampler that can groove anything along ur way…

but over 600 bucks for a used unit, even including shipping, is not the best bang for a used buck…check again, wait a second…there are better prices out there…

5 Likes

Then rather buy an additional 100 EUR volca sample (OG) and load Pajen’s software :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that, ill check it out though, heard good things

The more I think about it there is no real need to be able to play polyphonically as I can easily do that with a bunch of other vst’s I have if I really need do, and can record the sample using the digitakt so I’m leaning more towards it now, haven’t seen it really sell anywhere for much less than 600

Yeah, they seem to be an about 700 right now (new, 30 days money back and 3 years warranty – but that way you could be sure all encoders and buttons work correctly). But since you got that digitone already with the miditracks: maybe volca sample would be a true option (OG with Pajen software or 2ndG without that - but with USB file transfer). So you can sequence the volca with the elektron sequencer.

1 Like

This sounds appealing to me given its obvious cost saving, but the volca samples doesnt record samples itself does it? I wasn’t even aware they had two different generations of that. Also do you mean Pajen? I don’t see anything up for Rajen, at least I think lol. If the newer ones don’t require unofficial software to do polyphony then it sounds like I could use it for both a drum machine and a poly sample synth

2 Likes

Yes, Pajen, sorry :slight_smile: - corrected it in the other posts.

Because you already have a digitone for fancy polyrhythmic sequencing - one could consider the volca about the same as the model:sample for your setup. Only cheaper. OG needs a software to transfer samples audio-encoded and can load 3rd party firmware. Actual version has USB-file transfer.

If you want to sample in the machine, digitakt would be a good option. They work pretty well together (DT and DN). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a huge deal breaker to be able to sample in the machine if I can save that much money and then in turn use it as an 8 voice poly sample synth if need be, not going to be using any of this live and the responsible part of me would thank me for the savings.

Have you considered an Electribe 2 sampler. That is what I tend to pair with my Digitone and I think they go well together.

1 Like

Haven’t checked those out at all, I will tho!

I think it’s 4 voice poly :slight_smile:

As for the poly-thing: If you have room: Akai MPC1000 with JJOS can do a lot, including playing polyphonic chromatic samples. Price last checked was between 400 and 600. Akai S01 are cheap (like 50), bulky, have no direct access to parameters, no filter but sound great and can have poly-instruments. Akai S1000 are still cheap (150), bulky, can do everything but don’t have hands on controls.

Your idea to sample chords is the best I think. But that did not prevent me from getting an Ensoniq EPS :wink: However could withstand to buy a Mirage. And now I am mad at me because I let that go :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the older one may have been 4, this is from a release on the newer one

The volca sample has everything that you need to create the music you like,and in a portable small form factor that you can take anywhere! On its own, it is an advanced sample machine with a powerful engine capable of 8 voice polyphony, digital reverb, a rich powerful double filter and plenty of knobs for sample manipulation which make this a powerful sampler.

Ah that polyphony. :slight_smile: Yes.

I was thinking about to the cacability to play the same sample chromatically and polyphonically. Like with Pajens Omni-Mode. Overall it can play more voices at once. True :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Ah ok you are probably right then in terms of the way i would intend to use it, I am relatively new to all of this admittedly.