Debating a Digitakt vs Model Samples vs Rytm MK2

Hey mate, I got an M:S and now I find it too limited and have since kind of wished I’d gone the Digitakt even on a finance option. Overbridge is a massive help when you’re tracking (I’m renting an AR mk2 which has OB). DT’s direct sampling will be something you come to love… you’d get sick of recording sounds into pc, transferring to MS etc, boring workflow in my opinion.
Only downer is no velocity sensitive pads but I figure a basic pad midi controller can sort that.

1 Like

which daw would you be running your beat machine into for tracking to daw?

1 Like

Even though the screen is smaller, I prefer sample management on the M:S.
You have more sample slots per project.
So working in a single project is less cumbersome. 576 slots vs 127, but same amount of project RAM, 64MB.

1 Like

I’ve been using Reaper lately, used to use pro tools like a decade ago.

Having only 6 tracks though for drums just seems fairly limiting, thinking I could probably use the digitakt like a drum machine when need be and would be a more unique sampler than anything I could manage with a VST.

Question about the MPC one though if anyone can answer (maybe @Norb) , does it have the ability to send multiple outs via USB if using it as a drum machine? Dont want to just be stuck with a stereo output when tracking, but then again if it has a song mode or whatever and generates multiple audio files you can export to a PC for tracking separately that would probably be fine too.

1 Like

With sample locks, 6 is not limiting. I usually only use 4 tracks for drums and then the other two for bass and chord/hook/stab samples. Will often have 10-12 samples in a kit on M:S.
You can do a whole live set with M:S as your main sound source.

Are sample locks like sound pools on the digitone? meaning you can switch a patch with a different one on a single step.

Correct, they are like sound locks.
There is a sample pool feature.

1 Like

When you use the MPC in controller mode with the VST in your DAW yes.

When in stand-alone mode, no.

1 Like

is there a max number of outs it can do at once? thank you!

Using in controller mode you’ll have 32 buses (outputs) with the VST plugin.

In stand-alone mode I think it’s 128 tracks. You can export all tracks as separate stems (wav), and a drum track can even be “exploded” in separate files during export.

These are all stereo tracks BTW.

Holy shit! thats a ton, gives it a leg up on the digitakt when programming drum stuff into reaper. I guess my last question would be are there ways to sufficiently mangle and mess with your samples? first reason I leaned toward the digitakt was because of my DK’s effects figuring they would be similar.

Yes, the MPC has loads of possibilities for this including layering up to 4 samples and plenty fx to choose from. It even has a drumsynthesizer nowadays which is pretty cool.

But the MPC also has its quirks and gliches, and is more a complete production machine than a drumcomputer. And it can take a while to understand its workflow.

I guess you have a lot of youtube to watch before you know which device will suit you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks like a really powerful sampler though as well, I normally work within Reaper but if this basically comes with a VST that would allow me to bring the samples into a DAW I may be sold on it.

Would it be fair to say that the Digitakt is more of an instrument compared to the MPC one? That said the Akai seems like way more bang for my buck, would allow me to do both of the things I was was hoping for working as a drum machine (one it seems I can tailor very distinctly) and as a polysynth for any samples I can come up with.

EDIT: Holy fuck that auto-sampler is freaking sweet, looks like it will be perfect for making polys out of my mono synths.

1 Like

yes Luke, the mpc is your father lol

incredibly powerful, incredibly easy to use, and incredibly underrated as just a ‘daw in a box’ as opposed to an instrument, imho it’s very much an instrument, and makes a wonderful companion for the model samples or the Digitakt

2 Likes

So my budget just dramatically increased due to the generosity of a friend, debating just grabbing the Analog Rytm MK2 and an MPC One lol. Anyone mess with the Rytm mk2? All the demos of it I can find are electronic (which makes sense) but its hard to get an idea of the range of what the thing can do.

I can’t really find out much info about the Analog Rytm MK II and it looks to be sold out everywhere anyway, I kind of like the idea though of getting both a Digitakt and MPC One, could use the Digitakt to capture samples and as a drum machine on the fly, and then use the MPC as a more cohesive sampler that can capture other instruments of mine.

I had the same predicament and make similar music to you. I ended up going for the Digitakt cos I wanted a sampler that could actually sample. I’ve had it for 4 months and only actually hooked it up to a computer to load samples a few weeks ago. Sampling what you want to sample immediately and quickly is key for me. Hooking up to a computer when you’re in the moment can really kill the vibe. Digitakt all the way I’d say.

1 Like

Rytm MKII and MPC One can do this too tho