Dedicated Elektron granular box - when?

Yeah, that’s extremely primitive. Effectively just a square window function, which is harsh as all get out, pretty much only useful for stutter effects. For example:

3 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken.

2 Likes

I do hope you’re right about many additional features coming to Syntakt. I’m ready!

1 Like

How much would you like to pay for a box like this from Elektron just to do granular. If you are thinking it should/could do more than granular, why not the ask granular to be added to other boxes instead?

pffft… I have a plethora of granulars…

Don’t see why Elektron would bother making a dedicated grain machine seeing that the GR1 is around and of course the Gotharman LD3MK2
The GR1 is used by Jean Michel Jarre so it defo earnef the respect from established Electronic musicians. Elektron would simply be repeating something already available

1 Like

I heard it’s going to be called the Fintakt.

4 Likes

I mean, how hard would it be to add some simple preset retrig envelopes the OT? Then you’d kinda be there, in combination with all the sample modulation possibilities that are already available.

I really liked the dead simple granular and wavetable modes in Polyend Tracker. Seems to me Elektron could add similar machines to Digitakt at some point. After all, the granular on Tracker is only using a single grain, so it wouldn’t exceed DT’s overall voice count and processing requirements.

1 Like

These are hard to acquire items you need to order and wait.

The most mainstream granular is the Quantum but that is buried.

How many drum machines and samplers were there before Elektron existed? Thankfully they saw fit to repeat something that was already available…

At some point you gotta innovate again. Not keep adding stuff to a well-worn basically legacy product.

They need to bring the OT up to modern standards and generate interest once more. No new buyers are enthusiastic about OT these days.

OT is Top 10 in Samplers at Thomann.

It’s not going to happen. It’s an FX, not a core tool, like a drum machine or sampler. FX or dedicated machine on a box only. Which I would heartily welcome, no question. In the right hands, granular is amazing.

1 Like

The main thing that really eats up DSP power when it comes to voices is FX (filters etc)
I think most people wud be over the moon with paraphonic (ie many voices all thru the same filter etc)
In my experience implementing paraphonic shouldn’t eat up too much.

1 Like

I bought a new OT for the first time in January. A lot of the effects are timeless while others aren’t, same case for most machines. It’s a modular environment so innovation is in your hands. No doubt they’ll make another one, but i think they’re really taking their time developing it because of how complex the OT philosophy is. At this point, granular isn’t innovation either. It’s cool, but to a lot of people it is a worn out novelty and little more.

Not really an achievement is it? Number 5?

It’s the most expensive one up to that point on the list tho. And it’s a 13 year old box that still makes the top 10. It’s also extremely weird so i count it as a win that so many people are still buying

1 Like

There are barely 10 samplers to begin with.

I bet OT is the most returned product out of all of them too. A lot of people don’t get past the first hurdles. This needs fixed.

1 Like

Lmaooo the Microgranny is a grain of the cost of the OT

2 Likes

I think you’re projecting your own views onto everyone else again.

You only have to look at the amount of “should I buy an OT” threads on here to see that there’s still plenty of interest, let alone the constant stream of new OT content bring vomited up on YouTube.

Plenty of people are still very enthusiastic about the OT.

The fuck are you on about?

4 Likes

what? was there a “don’t buy OT” meeting I’ve missed?

man I would love get an OT, and I will eventually, this thing is insane.

having long samples start/end point looped/reversed is granular enough, if AR had finetune for these params I’d be granularizing the shit out of it.
also imo Elektron is religious about the sequencer and granular don’t really need that, so maybe extra machine on existing boxes can do that but don’t think it’s worth dedicated box at all.

2 Likes