Device for Learning Keys

I have a LaunchKey mini and can barely play keys.

My wife and kids would like to learn as would I and it would be nice to have something I could also use for production.

The choices seem to be:

• A traditional digital piano by Yamaha or Roland
  • A midi controller like an Arturia + Piano v3 (already owned)
  • Some other keyboard, workstation or synth + maybe Piano v3.

Extra factors - If it doesn’t have onboard sounds and speakers (or some other route to be quickly set up) it might not get used as much.

88 keys might be a bit big to fit so maybe 49 or 61 might be better.

Something that would Integrate with my current gear would be nice (Bitwig, MC-707, Tracker)

Cost within reason is not an issue.
What would you get?

Any decent MIDI controller and Melodics should get you going. I use an NI Komplete Kontrol S49.

2 Likes

I’d go with a Casio Privia 88 keys. Depending on the price, you get an overall great design, excellent keys, reasonable size and weight as well as good sounds.

1 Like

Some options I considered:

• Korg G1 Air - great action, great sound, nice speaker array. I haven’t demoed one in person yet, but reviewers consistently think this is one of the best values in electronic pianos. Ideal for the living room.
  • Kawai MP7SE - possibly the best digital piano, but would need a stand and monitor setup. Better suited for the studio than the living room.
  • Korg Kronos 2 88 / Roland Fantom 08 / Yamaha MODX 8+ - expensive workstations that would fit well into my studio, would need a stand and monitors and would want to connect to my mac.
  • Arturia Keylab 88 Mk2 - a pure controller, so would need to be in the studio/office next to my Mac. The wooden legs are really cool and probably 75% of why I was fixated on it for a while.

I decided to wait on the e-piano / workstation ($2k+ budget) for a few years and go with a nice controller keyboard to use with my synths and mac. I ordered a Novation LaunchKey 61, but received a 61SL Mk3 instead. After a few minutes playing with the 61SL, I called up the shop and told them that they sent the wrong keyboard and I wanted to be billed for the difference. Despite blowing up my budget, I really like the SL61.

Personal note: I thought my wife would prefer the G1 Air, but she loves it when the SL61 goes into “Vegas Mode” and does its light show.

Casio Privias were also on my list, but I received the 61SL before I was able to demo any of the current Privias.

It is possible to run Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi. You would want a good DAC to go with it. Pianoteq on a Pi or other compact computer and a nice 88 key controller like a Studiologic SL series or M-Audio Hammer 88 may be the best budget option if you don’t mind hacking around with computer stuff.

1 Like

49 keys isn’t nearly big enough. 61 at minimum, but even then I would say as you or your kids or wife advance, you’ll find the 61 lacking. I’d get 88 from the start if you can afford the money and size.

I’d also recommend taking actual lessons with someone in your town. If you do go this route, it’s likely your lessons will be on a digital or real piano, which would have a completely different key feel than a controller/keyboard, so I’d recommend a digital piano.

I use my digital piano for playing/practicing as well as a MIDI controller when I’m playing piano pieces from my DAW. Most anything you get today digital will have MIDI capabilities.

Look locally for used digital pianos. You can get decent ones at good prices - often sold by people who wanted to learn and decided it was too much work, so they’re selling it.

Are you trying to learn keys (synths) or do you want to learn to play (a real) piano?

2 Likes

My wife will be interested in playing piano.

I’m interested in recording songs so piano, or organ, or synths or whatever works for a song.

For learning to play piano, nothing beats a piano teacher. A good teacher can show you a lot of good stuff, but more importantly the teacher can catch you when you start heading down an unproductive path - like not curling your fingers properly, trying to play a melody line with a clumsy fingering, etc.

That said, I get why peeps don’t want to get a piano teacher - scheduling issues, don’t want to pay the rate, etc. That’s why i don’t get into get a teacher/don’t get a teacher debates.

Jeremy See’s YT channel specializes in keyboards for beginner players. He has a guide here that includes a keyboard that has light-up keys for learning.

I would then buy a midi keyboard at taste for your song making purposes and a second hand digital piano with speakers for your wife to learn piano on.

Probably the right answer. Anything else will be jack of all trades master of none.

It’s been two year that I decided that I need to improve on key.
I have try ´ simply piano ´ with a 88 key keyboard. I took the one year plan. I had issue to stay focus on it at regular interval. But it’s really well made. I think for starter it might be better than a piano teacher.
It’s when you want and as much as you want.
But after one hour I am exhausted.
I’m sure lots of Piano teacher are good but as an introvert adult I don’t want that.

The other thing I have try is buying a used deepmind 12 keyboard. It can do some electric piano and it can be used as a Juno.
Honestly it works really well for me.
I play it solo a lot or with my AR to give me a rythm and background melody.

What works well for me for learning keys is practicing 30m or 1H, and trying to change key scale. And being good in 3, 4 key scale.
Learning song is definitely a good way to improve, it won’t use a key scale you know and will force you to do things you won’t do by your own.

2 Likes

For the sake of peace, that would be a risky solution :slight_smile:

Actually, for most modern and classical music, in particular relevant to beginner and intermediate levels, 73-76 keys will be largely sufficient. Going from here, it is only a matter of budget and features. Regarding internal speakers, that’s not a must-have feature because Roland&co do sell great and compact monitors. Same goes for things like stand.

Features that you should watch for:

• keys: they should be semi-weighted at least and not too heavy to play. That’s also important for master keyboards ;
  • weight: unless you love moving washing machines around, anything above 20kg should be considered a no-go;
  • sound: should respond to dynamic playing and be at least pleasant to listen to;
  • MIDI: to extend the features in future (sound, expression, recording, etc.), a pair of DIN ports and perhaps a USB MIDI port are crucial.

A more premium option than the Casio Privia series would be a Korg SV-2S, really professional at what it does.

A bit of digging suggests the best basic learning piano would be a Roland FP30X

If I want a piano / workstation then it looks like the Casio PX-S3100 is the obvious choice but it’s probably better to get something more focussed.

I have a Roland FP30 that I bought to learn basic piano on, and it’s excellent- really nice hammer keyboard action, sounds pretty good with a variety of sounds, has decent speakers (and a headphone jack if you don’t want to annoy people). I’d recommend it for sure.

1 Like