DFAM mind melting thread

I love setting the DFAMs aside for a week or so, and then when you come back it’s apocalyptic filth generation time. I can’t even imagine with a Lyra. It’s so awesome. DFAM is a hard void to fill once you’ve learned the powers it provides

3 Likes

Not sure how mind melting this is, but here is a jam from this weekend with the DFAM taking a starring role and occasionally getting a tiny bit of out control:

It’s going though a Heat and being sequenced by an Analog 4, which is also providing the FX, additional drums, arp and drone, and there’s also a 0-coast providing the bass. Just recorded from the A4’s stereo outs, no itb processing except for a compressor.

8 Likes

So here’s my DFAM ‘comeback track’. Just a live jam with a couple of DFAM loops on the Octatrack and Lyra-8 left to do its thing in the background.

10 Likes

Straight up badazz.

1 Like

So now that peeps have been using these in Elektron setups for awhile… how far can you go control-wise with CV and sync from an A4? Can it basically become a p-lockable super drum module?
The time I’ve had with a borrowed one was more of a “let’s make as many cool loops with this thing standalone and sample them before it has to go back” situation. But now I’m looking into making it a permanent addition and deeply integrated into the A4/Rytm workflow.

3 Likes

I don’t have an A4 but I’d imagine you can get some good control. With my beatstep I am getting pretty good results right now. If I had an A4 I would totally try it all out but I am sure you could get some real neat results. Just with an OT syncing clock with plocks I am having a ton of fun so take that as you will.

This would absolutely add some nice rythmic overtones to a Rytm or be a nice additional synth with the A4 assuming you have both.

1 Like

So… is Neutron + Korg SQ-1 anything close to a DFAM? My guess is that the Neutron could mimic the DFAM if one knows what your doing. But then Neutron has some more tricks up it’s sleeve (effects fx), AND it’s a cheaper package.

Anyone have experience with both and care to comment?

1 Like

I can’t reply directly about the Neutron but I’ve spent a fair amount of time trying to mimic the DFAM with an sq-1 and my eurorack and even when I have everything more or less in place it’s still tough to get that sound. The fm on the DFAM is really special for instance.

Keep in mind the DFAM uses 6 VCAs (maybe more?); 3 for velocity control of the 3 envelopes, 1 for FM amount, 1 for noise level, and 1 more for the final output. I don’t think the Neutron has velocity control over the envelopes which is a key part of the DFAM’s sound. Also the 12db filter on the Neutron will sound pretty different than the 24db ladder filter.

None of this is meant to knock the Neutron but Moog did an incredible job with the DFAM. If only they had added a reset input for the sequencer it would be perfect :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been mostly using DFAM’s own sequencer as I think it’s a lot of fun. So basically just clocking it from A4, maybe doing some step skipping with A4’s seq or making the DFAM go 15/16. Really basic stuff, because that already is friggin’ awesome, and also because I’m a simple man.

So basically this:

Out of curiosity, what would you be looking for if you were to combine DFAM and Rytm (maybe besides the instant fun factor)? I know Rytm and DFAM are two completely different beasts. Asking because I just grabbed a 2nd hand Rytm mk2 because I got offered too good a deal with Empress Reverb (1100 euro for the two). I haven’t played with Rytm a lot yet and I gotta admit my initial idea was to flip it for a small profit. Don’t need it for sampling either as the OT has got that covered…

1 Like

I personally look at the Rytm as a digital/analog hybrid sampler with synthesis capability. The digital side is obviously very limited versus the OT (or even DT) but all the analog circuitry that follows in each voice makes up for it.
My original idea for DFAM loops were to make each 24 steps long (1.5 bars) so that when transferred in the Rytm would let you advance sample start in increments of 5 (120/24) to easily make tweaks of the loop pattern, pre-sliced for variations p-locking etc.
That all works as expected but now that I’m seeing with all the control the A4 offers, I could have the DFAM hooked up full-time as sort of a drum expander to the A4, layering it with DFAM loops in the Rytm. Does that make sense? Like build a beat foundation out of a few loop parts then have real-time tweaks over the top.
This might be very obvious to some, but because of how variable the DFAM is I had never considered using it this way.

1 Like

Deal of the year right there!

2 Likes

Tell me about it. I really wasn’t in the market for Rytm but thought I’d try it with that price. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the sound of the AR, just thought I didn’t need one.

Your plans for the DFAM absolutely make sense.

1 Like

Spent a few hours with DFAM and his mate Lyra this afternoon. Can’t say I’m particularly proud of the results but I had fun anyway.

10 Likes

ZING! thanks! Hope there’s more coming, LOL!

There is just one VCA after the filter, the rest are mixer/atenuators but velocity does affect all three envelopes.

I had the neutron but sold it for an 0-coast, still the neutron has amaizing value for money and you get a dual multimode filter.

DFAM is my best sounding single piece of hardware, and with the help of some extra modules (Full ADSR envelopes, extra OSC, LFOs) I use it more as a synth than as a drum machine. I wish it had FM Input to use other sound sources.

One cheap module that pairs very well with DFAM is MI Peaks. It can work as 2 ADSR envelopes , 2 LFOs with retrig (Excellent for drums)and tap tempo capabilities, or a mix of them. Paid 90€ for mine. Maths is also awesome (I use it as LFOs, Envelopes or crazy sequencer) but more complex and expensive.

2 Likes

@Seta and others, awesome to see you people pushing the DFAM and finding new ways to make it more versatile. Any pics of DFAM setups and/sound bites would be welcome! :wink:

Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with the way it is but now that I’ve got it back (for good) I’ll definitely look into something like the CV.ocd although I don’t want to go more modular at this time (just sold all my eurorack modules).

This is just a fantastic thread!

That’s literally what this thread is… some videos too
:wink:

Hah! Obviously! But I’m thirsty for MORE!

This is my 6U104HP case, Korg SQ1 was inside too but I took it out and now fits more modules. Will add an Expert sleepers General CV and a Send/return module for fx, I had ALM006, sold it because my case was full and now I miss it.
I have Mutant brain which is the same as CV.ocd.

And my set up looks like this now:

I bought a presonus mtk12 but went back to my presonus studio 1810, it has 4 DC coupled outputs so I can send LFOs, envelopes from live too. Also I mainly work with live and although mtk12 is wonderful for jamming you still end up needing the computer for multitracking.

I am pretty new to modular my self, lots of work to do. I recommend checking muffwiggler, best modular information source on the net.

Is best if you get few modules to start with, I bought to many, big mistake.
I would recommend a 3U84HP, 3U104HP or 6U84HP. something like MI Links, Kinks and Peaks (Paid 200€ for the 3 of them), Mutant Brain (or CV.ocd) plus Disting mk4 which is 80 modules in one. With that you will not get bored in ages.

My modular is inside a 6U104HP DIY flightcase I can take anywhere, I bought CV.ocd but sold it and got Mutant brain for this reason.

1 Like

This is my little semimodular corner. A4 provides sequencing/envelopes/LFOs to the 0-coast and DFAM with its four CV outs, which can be crosspatched (so using the slope and maths sections on the 0-coast to modulate the DFAM for example, while DFAM can FM/trigger/sequence the 0-coast). The outputs of the DFAM and 0-coast go into the ext ins of the A4 for delay/reverb/chorus or to use as oscillators in the A4 's voices. It’s a pretty powerful setup without needing to go full eurorack.

I sometimes use the DT to sequence the 0-coast via MIDI too , but normally just use CV from the A4.

1 Like