DFAM mind melting thread

They’re the ones I had. Easy to fit and work like a charm.

Forgot a key piece of information, inside the EU :frowning:

I’m jamming some Godflesh drum patterns, sample 16 steps to the OT and make pattern variations. Kick and snare coming from DFAM and hi-hats and cymbals from a Fairlight sample pack. Should download an Alesis SR-16 pack I guess, haven’t found a convincing hi-hat or cymbal sound from the DFAM yet.

I can’t believe how much fun this synth is, so simple and all sweet spot. I kinda want a second one already, hah. Or maybe a Mother32 or a Subharmonicon? Then again a Behringer K-2 would work really well with this, too.

1 Like

hipass fillter is your friend for hihats. I even thinking about getting a 2nd dfam for all the noise hats and stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, i mean I’m fine with doing beats with DFAM and samples from the OT, but it would be pretty dope to have two DFAMs running for all percussion. We’ll see, might take some time before I can afford to buy more gear. Lyra8 & DFAM broke the bank, hah!

I’m loving this thread and I haven’t even got a DFAM!
Yet…
(focus boy focus…you just got a Lyra)

I don’t need another DFAM, I don’t need another DFAM, please don’t make me buy another DFAM…

2 Likes

Any DFAM + Blackbox users in here? I’ve been meaning to create something with just these two devices, layering various DFAM loops and and a few other samples from Blackbox.

1 Like

It is !

@PeteCT Thanks a lot :wink:

I’M BACK BABY!

17 Likes

Lol back again?

How much did you pay for the techno system from Erica?

1 Like

Fusion System. I’m not made of money.

Besides, this was basically a swap for existing hear that I’ve got rid of.

I found one but it is £1700…

1 Like

Touché.

(Of course I understand why you sold it.)

1 Like

Bingo.

Eating my own words mate.

But they sound delicious.

2 Likes

Why you ever sold the first DFAM is beyond me. Good that you got one again.

Ive been thinking about sequencing mine from the SQ1 or Keystep, twiddling knobs as I record basslines or melodies. (Meanwhile the sub 37 sits unused… i just prefer the DFAM as a synth )

1 Like

As you’ve pointed out a number of times, I’m a twat.

I’m probably going to get a CV.ocd in a few weeks, so will probably start sequencing mine with my OT. I’m definitely feeling the synth side of it will take centre stage with me for a while. Mostly though, I’m just looking forward to pissing about with the Sync and FM knob until it makes fart noises.

5 Likes

i’ve used the metronome out of cue output trick to use the OT master clock and it works ok, except you have to wind the DFAM up to the correct step by hand if you stop the sequence in the middle. it’s fun though, i’ve made complete sequences and then sampled them, then made variations and sampled those. i guess i wouldnt hate it if the DFAM had a more robust sequencer (or a built in tuner), but its ok to work with the bare minimum. time consuming but fun.

might just decide to make a kit for each song in the future and do the composing on the OT, we’ll see. can’t beat how it sounds, i would not trade any amount of ease of use for it.

1 Like

Preach.

OT sequenced DFAM via OCD thing? Sounds fiddly but potentially filthy.

2 Likes

Anyone use modular drum synths, like Basimilus Iteritas? How do they compare to DFAM?

I owned the DFAM for a little bit but the sequencer left me disappointed. I was thinking of maybe getting a fun hands-on modular sequencer and adding drumsynth modules. But then I’d be going modular, which I’ve never done before, which is its own expensive can of worms. I guess modular also appeals to me because of the appeal of adding more modules for different sounds. The DFAM started to sound too samey to me. Then again, none of this precludes me from using the DFAM in addition to modular.

Thank you for listening to me ramble semi-coherently.