DFAM mind melting thread

How many other Elektronauts are using two DFAMs? I can see a lot of advantages of having a pair, versus say a Mother32 and DFAM combo.

@Frisqo fantastic work!

2 Likes

Thank you! Love that DFAM is one knob per function and its intuitive approach. With a pair you can still focus on one type of instrument.

1 Like

It’s a great performance above, but I think one of the main advantages of pairing with an M32 or SubH is that either can go ‘off the grid’, which is useful given the DFAM’s preference for straight 8-step sequences. The trigger possibilities on the SubH make it a particularly good addition, I think, especially as syncing the DFAM to the M32 requires you to give up the potentially useful assignable output. But I could see some definite possibilities in using ones of the EGs on DFAM 1 as a trigger source for DFAM 2, for example…

I’m using the Euclidean Circles to make polyrhythm and 1- or 2-bar loops on the DFAM by patching into it into the Trigger or Adv/Clock, so you can escape the 8-step limitation.

4 Likes

That was my initial reservation about the DFAM as well. But now I use the A4 to trigger/advance the DFAM sequencer with probability, so it sounds different every time it cycles. That combined with some LFO via A4 CV makes it sound like it’s never repeating…

With two DFAMs I could run one pair of A4 outs to trigger and LFO CV for each, advancing and modulating them independently.

2 Likes

Yeah, Pamela’s New Workout is another great companion to the DFAM. But I think it does need something like that - and in a double-Moog setup, the SubH fits the bill well. If you’re adding an A4 or modular box to the setup, then your choices and options expand massively (at a price) and two DFAMs becomes a viable option (as Frisqo ably demonstrates).

Something I’ve been meaning to do for a while is pair up the DFAM and A4 to see how close the A4 can get to the DFAM’s sound and feel… I’ve often suspected there’s a second DFAM hidden away in there.

1 Like

DFAM fully integrated into my modular, with Lyra being Lyra.

9 Likes

Great combination of two synths

2 Likes

My Lyra needs a dfam friend

2 Likes

Match made in synth hell

2 Likes

maybe already mentioned befor: the adv/clck is independend from the trigger input. So you can feed it 2 differents gate patterns / euclidean rymths … etc.

The A4 also doubles as a great fx box with the DFAM. You can send the DFAM an audio track of the A4 and use the 2 filters and ofcourse the saturation, as well as reverb and delay. Oh happy days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really this is what I feel I’m missing now that I sold my A4. CV outputs to DFAM & Dark Energy and effects box. Maybe 600 euros would not be too much if I never even used it’s synth engine? We’ll see!

okay I didn´t send cv outs from my A4 to the DFAM, but I tried it on the Dark Energy.

I think this works similar with the DFAM.

Btw. nice you mentioned the Dark Energy. I think it doubles nice as best buddy with a DFAM or even a M32 (giving it a 2nd oscillator).

2 Likes

For sure, they have a very similar character. Actually all three synths in current setup of DFAM - Dark Energy - Lyra8 perfectly compliment each other. Very uniform sound, although sometimes it’s a bit hard to mix because they’re all so full and thick. OT gives master clock to DFAM and Dark Energy, they do their thing in the backround and I’m free to explore with the Lyra8. Hours go by without me noticing, hah.

2 Likes

Two DFAM Techno dedicated to plants & friends

9 Likes

I’ve got two DFAMs and a SubH (+ small 60HP extension case with Maths, Poly2 and soon Beads and Pam’s New Workout). Recently I re-routed everything so that I can easily play them through my OT, grab samples on the fly and mangle them into madness! I’ve had tons of fun with the setup but at the same time I feel I haven’t fully understood how powerful the combo is! So much to learn!

Having two DFAM’s makes a lot of sense as you can easily dedicate one to more powerful sounds (like kick and snare) and the other one to more percussive stuff or hihats etc.

4 Likes

That’s the direction I’m going in, a little bit of modular with one DFAM for now, maybe something different like a Neutron for the other semi-modular to have timbral variety and additional patching options.

not sure if this counts as mind-melting lol, but here’s my new ep. it’s detroit techno, pretty upbeat, and 98% of the sounds are from the dfam. i tracked most of it out with live takes, then added fx/processing/minor arrangements with ableton.

i really love the dfam, it’s made for techno and so much fun to work with.

hope you like it, thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

All tracks mastered by Wayne @ Obsessed Audio (www.facebook.com/ObsessedAudioMastering/)

9 Likes

DFAM + FSS Gristleizer VCA + OT Master Compressor = Who needs an Analog Heat anyway…

15 Likes

Not you… smash that compressor until it wimpers for mercy.

2 Likes