DFAM mind melting thread

I am really enjoying it as a super punchy/snappy/wobbly bass synth atm…

1 Like

Are you tuning the notes, or just going by feel?

I’m sending midi out to my Doepfer 190-3 and cv into vco1 in and vco2 in + gate cv to tigger in

1 Like

I should see if I could use my Dark Energy like that, play it with midi and have it send CV to the DFAM. I’m still a bit of a novice with midi and CV, tho.

Yeah, should be workable with the Dark Energy!

Just got mine today.
Have to wait till the kids go to bed for unboxing and racking it up with the other 2 semis.

Kind of looking forward to taming some subtle rhythmic pulses once I’ve explored the wildness, but since I haven’t even played with it yet, we’ll see!

2 Likes

I really need to mute this thread from my feed. I’ve used a Reaktor DFAM emulator, and set up a couple Pro 2 patches with the DFAM vibe in mind. They both deliver (especially Pro 2) but the glowing experiences of the actual DFAM continue to draw me in.

6 Likes

wp-content

5 Likes

I have also made some DFAM-like drum patches on the Pro2 using arps and LFO’s, even to go so far as having kicks, percussion and hats coming in and out semi-generatively in one patch. It’s fantastic, but no substitute for the DFAM. It just hits harder, and the way the filter modulation sounds is very different than the Pro.

Really the two together are a techno dream team.

Love this, and I hate 909 hats :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh really? Your for sale post elsewhere on here disagrees with you.

I got mine out of its box today. Tried lots of different things I never tried before. But ultimately, I can just take it or leave it, it doesnt grab me. So its back in the box and up for sale for mine.

2 Likes

I’m fickle.

Deal with it.

3 Likes

Hahaha. I opened the page and this was the last time I checked in @Fin25

2 Likes

I’m actually trolling myself now.

3 Likes

Is there a grand plan or are you just going for ‘Ive had more DFAMs than @brucegill has had Octatracks’ ?

Not that it makes any odds to me, other than provide mild amusment.

3 Likes

There’s a plan.

Not sure if it’s a good plan or not, but it’s a plan nonetheless.

Sorry no mind-melting audio to offer right now, but I just had to express how much fun it is to play the PO-12 (Pocket Operator) synched with the DFAM.

The way the PO’s interface allows for quickly punching in rhythms on the fly works a treat, especially when the onboard fx are used. Add the subharmonicon spitting out polyrhythmic bleeps and I had a right old living room rave up going on…

Great fun!

2 Likes

So what’s this plan then?

Sell some shit, buy some other shit, make mediocre music with new shit, sell new shit, at least partially to buy back old shit before hailing new shit as the best thing ever, before selling both old and new shit to buy even newer shit to make mediocre music with before realising that the old old shit was the shit and selling at least half the newer shit to buy back the old old shit, which I’ll discover actually wasn’t the shit, at least compared to that new shit that I can’t afford now, wherein I’ll probably sack it all off and take up extreme tax accounting or something.

The short version of which is that, no, I’m not selling my DFAM to buy a Pulsar 23, but listening to the Pulsar 23 has made me realise that I’m actually bored of a lot of the beat based music I’ve been making and I’m going to go off exploring round a few modular crack dens til all my teeth fall out (and I can afford a Pulsar without compromising all my other gear).

10 Likes

Dont need a pulsar.
Got modular synth. Got octatrack.

Make noises. Sample noises. Loop them noises. Dont bother with sequencer, just free running loops. Add more noises from modular.

Rub quadraverb and lyra all over it.

Rub thighs while drinking weak lemon drink.

3 Likes

Love the vibe! good job