DFAM mind melting thread

We should start a Finnish Fin Fans zine

Just another in a long list of fanzines.

Did I mention Iā€™m very attractive.

3 Likes

Of all the quotes from you, the first I always remember is that youā€™re ā€easy on the eyeā€. :slightly_smiling_face:

So yeah, you did mention it, in passing.

3 Likes

1 Like

Nice and clever!

Want 4xDFAM live setup (with some basic mixer/ pam/ zadar/ effects/ euro setup )

Is it stupid? Maybe 3x will be enough?

Well, it depends on what you want to do, but from my previous experiment with the microvolt, iā€™d say that with a setup consisting only of DFAMs you wonā€™t have a clock divider, a function generator, or a LFO, wich really extend what one DFAM can do.

EDIT : Oops didnā€™t see you mentioned using it with a euro setup, so yeah, useless comment from me ^^

DFAM definitely needs a larger euro set-up to make it not monotonousā€¦and other sequencers. Mine is a keeper just for when i need a smattering of bath salt induced mayhemā€¦

Also sometimes i treat it as ā€œnot the sum of its partsā€, but use just the filter (which is a great filter) to process other signals, or send the oscillators out into warps and off into other modules in my small rig. Or just use the step sequencers for external filters and so onā€¦the accessible semi modular parts are definitely worth keeping the DFAM for, if you considered buying the individual oscs, filter, sequencers, ect and case and power supplyā€¦it brings a lot to the table.

But by itself yes i would i have sold long agoā€¦

1 Like

Hey folks who changed up the tiny knobs in the sequencer, want to shoot me a link to the knobs you replaced them with?
Cheers!

2 Likes

If it wasnt so based on the sequencer I would have kept it.

1 Like

I have a set, unopened and unused. I bought them but sold my dfam before I ever used them. PM me if youā€™re interested (Iā€™m in Switzerland).

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™m in Canada so would be nice to find something on this side of the water.

1 Like

Yip, i have an Arturia BSP for 2 x note data for the oscs and 8 triggers, then my DT controls an expert sleepers FH1 for 8 cv tracks of automationā€¦the sequencers are not patched to the DFAM usuallyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about going this route. Whatā€™s it like tuning the oscillators to be in tune with other instruments - do you miss having a fine tune knob?

Its pretty easy if you have

A. Some patch cables
B. A volume attenuator (vca) to get the oscillators levels down
C. A tuner (mine is in my zoom ms-70cdr)

I spend about 5 minutes tuning about 5 oscillators in my riggā€¦if Iā€™m using modular that day.

The 2 DFAM osc, Two Pittsburgh DNA osc and one internal osc of warps all to a low Cā€¦Braids is just always in tune.

The DFAM is no harder than the Warps or one side of the DNA with just a course tune knobā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€™s a collection of ambient tracks I made featuring the DFAM.

9 Likes

SubH joins my DFAM very soon. Although I am sure the list is limitless, what are your sexiest ways to patch them together?

1 Like

I recently added Beads to my small euro setup and it pairs beautifully with the DFAM and Subharmonicon. This is two DFAMs and a Subharmonicon with Arturia Minifilter doing something in Ableton.

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:
Do you still have these available by any chance?