DFAM mind melting thread

I gotta tell you… that one felt good. I’m glad i recorded it before I fuxed it up by making it more complex.

1 Like

Everytime I start thinking about trading or selling my dfam someone does something like this and reminds me why I need to keep it and possibly add a second.

Thanks @BLKrbbt :blush:

1 Like

Im glad you see it that way! Maybe just spend some time restricting you to just the DFAM to really get into the nooks and crannies!

Plus, you can always m,ultitrack to save on money… I just racked up my credit cards!

1 Like

Incidents on Rogue Worlds
Limited Edition CDs are out now!

Order here: Incidents On Rogue Worlds | Dominic Mrakovcich

Pure indie ambient. No frills, no artwork (OK just a little bit). It’s 33 minutes of cosmic magic on a homemade compact disc in a tangerine-colored plastic case. Lovingly labeled in Sharpie by yours truly.

I think you just sold me on the DFAM. This is what I want to do, but with my Prophet 6. :heart_eyes:

Instrumentation: Moog DFAM, Moog Subharmonicon, Pittsburgh Modular SV-1b, Korg Monologue, Chasm Delay Software
Comes in a beautifully printed glossy black sleeve with album artwork by Ian Mrakovcich. Compact disc lovingly labeled and decorated in Sharpie by yours truly. Available on Bandcamp and select record and coffee shops.
ORDER HERE: Merch | Dominic Mrakovcich

Grabbed the combo this week but can’t help but wonder if I should have gotten the subharmonicon instead of the m32. But wow the dfam is bananas.

3 Likes

Simple solution. Just buy the other set too. Then you’ll have two DFAMs. Win, win, win x2.

6 Likes

This really is the way to go.

5 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about.

1 Like

I will say this about the talk about DFAM or Mother 32…

I usually have the Matriarch or the Gma in the mix, so I rarely use the Mother 32…

Its just faster to get better results, and that time can be used to handle the extra work of the extra DFAM… like live playing in the bass parts, and tweaking the resonance to get Acid with slow FM…

The other thing I think should be said… and this is the draw of integrating with a bigger eurorack system… Is that for me its easier to multitrack in the rough song, and overdub variations, rather than getting all that done through sequencing or clever uses of LFO’s… maybe one day… but the Moogs by them selves are great to get parts, but hard to go back AND forth… the lack of presets mean that you need to remember changes, and switch between patterns at best… and here is the irony!!!

This is exactly what the Mother32 was designed to do… change between patterns, while trying to remember both settings!

I just need to get good…

2 Likes

How do the sequencer on Mother 32 compare to sequencer on Grandmother/Matriarch?

I know very little about either, so just curious if they are similar or very different.

1 Like

I like the sequencer on the Mother 32 better, but it is only 32 steps per pattern. You can get around it by really interesting time divisions per clock… so it slows down witht the tempo knob… bt ut you cn also add substep and ties… so your sequence can really fall outside percieved 32 steps… and once its sequenced, you can just hit a note, and it will play the sequence from that new starting note… same steps away…

same as on the Gma… but the matriarch and Gma are more like the keystep 37… where you enter in notes sequentially… and you can overdub while playing… also has ties and rests with 256 steps total? Im sure it fills up fast… Im just not gonna do the keystep hack where you max out the steps in ties, then live play overdub the whole thing, correctiong over pass throughs.

I hope Im answering this right… its nuanced the differences…

2 Likes

I’m wondering where I can get the cable hanger doohickey but it seems to only come with the sound studio bundles?

I’ve already got a DFAM and an another Moog case filled with DFAM friends like DFAM Thing (eurorack version), OXI Pipe, wavefolder, utilities, etc.

Personally, I’m not bothered if I don’t hear the same thing twice or if I can’t replicate a sound and rhythm. It feels like an infinitely variable conversation between man and machine. I let go and embrace this. Just try and remember to press record :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that, exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like