Different samples for every pattern

I’ve owned the octatrack for a few months, I understood the structure of the machine: sets, projects, parts, etc.
But I can’t understand one thing: how do I use different samples on each pattern? I created a set and then a project, loading all the samples in the audio folder of the created set… I also tried to create a second part but if I change the samples they also change on part 1…

:clap:t2:help me thanks a lot

Did you change the sample in slots or part sample slot assignments ?

Don’t change samples in slots.
You can also use sample locks, this avoid a part change (hold a trig, turn Level encoder).

3 Likes

The project has two sets of sample slots, for flex and static samples. Samples assigned to a machine are picked from these slots. They apply to the whole project.

Parts include which samples are assigned to the machines on each track. You have four Parts per bank so you can have four sets of sample selections per bank.

If you want the samples to change more often (for more patterns than the four Parts allow), you have two choices:

• use sample locks: each trig can have a sample chosen from one of the project sample slots
  • use sample chains: put multiple sounds in one file and p-lock the start/end/length to get the right one. Easiest if you use regularly spaced samples and the slices feature
5 Likes

You can also choose slot mode by pressing function plus the up arrow key. This will turn all your triggers into sample play back buttons that correspond to the slots. Sixteen samples per page. Once that’s engaged you can play any sample in the respective machine and live record it. You can even set it up so the samples play back quantized to a specific note division. (Quarter note, half note etc…)

3 Likes

I prefer the first option, the second i used it only once with the model sample but i don’t like it much :roll_eyes:

Yes i Do…
Summarizing on part 1 there is a drum loop which obviously has to be different in part 2. Trying to change the sample in part 2, once part 1 is reloaded, however, the sample remains that of part 1. I don’t know, I was able to explain myself .

Thanks all for the replies, I solved it using parts, since I have 4 tracks to remix, I created one part per track.

p.s. I noticed one thing: when using slots, all loaded samples from slot 9 onwards can’t be edited, right?
If I’m saying something wrong, could you please tell me how to edit, for example, a sample loaded on slot 10?

I still haven’t solved the problem always solved it using the parts but suddenly it mixed up the samples for me. I also tried using banks, I understand that switching from one bank to another doesn’t change the samples, but I don’t know how to do it, I’m going crazy.

Incorrect. Any sample in flex or static lists can be edited via the audio editor. Note, the flex list audio editor has way more options than the static list version.

Sounds like a work flow thing. Patterns must be assigned to a Part to keep X samples on Y part.

So eg, once you have chosen your samples pattern 1, assign to Part 1. Save the part. Now any time you load that pattern, regardless where you came from, the correct samples will be there. 100%.

Some people might say you dont need the save part command. I always do. Muscle memory, not a workflow killer at all.

Replace ‘part’ with the word ‘Kit’ and all this makes sense. You can have four kits per bank.

So for me, I use patterns 1-4 use Part(kit) 1. Patterns 5-8 use part 2 and so on.

(Not a set of sounds saved with each pattern, thats digitakt/tone architecture.)

That should help.

4 Likes

not working 100% I am also attaching a few photos:

I’m on pattern 1 of bank A the pattern is currently assigned part 1

I load a sample on track 1 into the static machine

save part 1

switch to bank B pattern1

and assign part 2

load a new champion into slot 2

and save part 2

I go back to bank A pattern 1, the part is 1 but the sample is the same as bank B

Where am I wrong? :roll_eyes:

You’re over writing the sample slots.
Sample slots are global, per project.

2 Likes

? I don’t understand

Sample slot 1 will always be the same sample in Part 1 , 2, 3 and 4.

Parts allows you to choose a diff slot number.

Eg you have 4 samples - load them all in

Slot 1 - Remix Sample A
Slot 2 - Remix Sample B
Slot 3 - Remix Sample C
Slot 4 - Remix Sample D

Then you can choose

Part 1 Track 1 = Remix Sample A (choose slot 1)
Part 2 Track 1 = Remix Sample B (choose slot 2)
Part 3 Track 1 = Remix Sample C (choose slot 3)
Part 4 Track 1 = Remix Sample D (choose slot 4)

Sounds like you keep changing the samples in each of your sample slots. You leave them there

1 Like

I figured out my mistake, loaded all the samples on all the tracks and then finally figured out how to assign a sample to a slot. All clear now… thank you all especially for your patience. :pray:

3 Likes

you had already written me the solution, perhaps my distraction anyway thanks

4 Likes