Digitakt + 0-Coast MIDI Clock Sync

Hello!
Just bought a 0-Coast second-hand and I’m trying to sync it to the Digitakt’s clock using MIDI.
Acording to the 0-Coast manual, to sync with MIDI Clock the CC is 114 (0=off and 1=on)
I’ve set the CC 114 on the Digitakt to 1 and the MIDI settings on the Digitakt are set to ‘send clock’ thru MIDI+USB.
The 0-Coast is still not receiving clock? Why? Does the 0-Coast need to be in the PGM pages?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers

There are a number of settings that need to be correct for this to be working:

Connections:
Make sure that you have connected DT’s MIDI Out port to the 0-Coast’s MIDI In port using a working MIDI cable and the appropriate adaptor for the 0-Coast.

You should check whether you can sequence the 0-C from the DT.

On the DT:
In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC menu:

• activate CLOCK SEND

In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:

• set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”;
  • set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI” or “MIDI+USB”.

On the 0-Coast:
You can the 0-Coast to receive MIDI clock in the MIDI PGM pages either by pressing the PGM buttons or by sending CC 114 as you described. If necessary, reset the 0-C to its default settings first.

I suggest that you start by using the PGM buttons. In the PGM pages, when PGM_A is flashing you can activate MIDI clock reception using the PGM_B button.

If you want to use the MIDI CC method then you need to be in the PGM pages before sending the CC 114 with value 1 from the DT. To do that you need to ensure that the correct MIDI channel (to match that of the 0-C if it’s not receiving on all channels) is set on the DT’s MIDI sequencer track first.

When you’re done you can route the 0-C’s CLK output to something interesting.

7 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, Peter!

I entered the PGM pages and then used MIDI 114 with value 1. I guess the problem was that I wasn’t in the PGM pages :slight_smile:

Cheers man!

3 Likes

sorry to resuscitate this, but I can’t wrap my head around this yet. I’ve got Digitakt’s clock controlling 0-coast but I can’t figure out the stop/start sync yet. I’m new to cc sending etc, would anyone mind helping me out with a very basic explanation of how to set this up? I’m pouring through both manuals and trying things out but with no success. Many thanks!

The 0-Coast has no sequencer. What are you trying to “start” or “stop”?

What do you actually want to do?

Thanks for the response, I was just realizing that I didn’t explain what I was trying to do. And I keep somehow forgetting that 0-coast and 0-ctrl are different pieces of gear, lol.

I’ve got my Digitakt midi out > into 0-coast midi in > and the 0-coast clock out > going into 0-ctrl’s clock in. I’m wondering how to start/stop 0-ctrl with the Digitakt, basically?

I don’t have a 0-CTRL, but it seems that the basic ways to stop it are to either:

• send a Gate signal to its Stop input, or
  • don’t send it clock signals.

So you could:

• send a MIDI Note message from the Digitakt to the 0-Coast one one channel when you want the 0-CTRL to stop, and have the 0-Coast then send a Gate signal to the Stop input on the 0-CTRL, or
  • just stop sending MIDI clock messages from the Digitakt or stop the 0-Coast from passing clock signals to the 0-CTRL.

This all seems a bit fiddly and there may be a better solution.

You may be able to find (or make) a device that uses one of the DIN-SYNC ports on the Digitakt to control the Stop input on the 0-CTRL.

Thanks, Peter! So, how do I go about setting that up on Digitakt in a performance situation? I’ve only had it for a couple days :slight_smile:

EDIT: Nevermind, i’m letting it go, appreciate your help

to be honest, the 0-ctrl is great fun, but not really that great for this sort of thing (no midi input etc). From memory it would get quiet overly complicated. CV.OCD would help here, but you’ve got the DT there with the amazing sequencer! Just do a new midi track and send it to the 0-coast. You can still use the 0-ctrl as a modulator of sorts for the 0-coast.

Thanks, Bruce, I hear you. I’ve been having to accept that over the last few days and have shifted to using the 0-ctrl as a cool modulation source for my modular setup in addition to the 0-coast.

which is still very cool, but i have a tendency to get hung up on things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here mate! Same here.