Digitakt and SP404MKII

So I recently got a Sp404MkII and a Microcosm, along with a Kenton THRU-5 so that I could send midi signal from the Digi over to both of these devices. For some reason, I can’t get the clock or pad triggering to come through on the 404 and not sure what the issue is. It also doesnt really seem like the microcosm is following the master clock either. ANyone out there with a similar set up that can provide some insight? would be much appreciated.

Did you make sure “clock send” is turned on in the midi config? I believe it is under “sync”. That would explain the devices not following.

1 Like

Stab in the dark here, but it might be the midi-to-TRS cable you’re using to connect to the 404.

I was having trouble getting a midi keyboard to listen to/read my 404 until I learned that there are two different midi-to-TRS cables. I believe the 404 uses “Midi B,” while the first one I tried was a “Midi A” cable. Luckily I seem to have collected a few of these converters and a different one ended up working. I think the only difference is what connects to the tip or ring of the cable.

If this is your problem, I’d see if you have another converter cable lying around, or see if maybe your Kenton has an option to switch the polarity of the signal it puts down the midi.

2 Likes

The SP is definitely TRS type A. I find this site helpful for figuring that out. https://minimidi.world/

Sounds to me like your DT isn’t sending midi clock/transport.

On the SP, shift+pad 11. If it doesn’t say “ext sync” then it’s not receiving the DT’s midi clock.

You should see on the microcosm the clock led doesn’t reset every time you hit play or stop on the DT it’s not receiving midi clock/transport.

I’m not familiar with the Kenton device but do you still have the same issues plugging in the DT directly into the microcosm or SP? An alternative is to drop the Kenton and set up midi thru on the microcosm. You can go DT > microcosm > SP-404.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the replies - the clock send is definitely on. What I’ve tried so far is - MIDI straight from DT into 404 with two different TRS adapters, no luck; MIDI straight out of DT into Microcosm, which seems to be working. Microcosm also seems to be working with the thru-5 box, so it seems its an issue with the 404. It is set to MIDI Sync: MIDI …? so I am unsure what I’m missing here… seems it’s most likely that my TRS adapters are both type B maybe. I know at least one of them works well with the Microfreak (which takes type B), as I’ve been able to send MIDI info to it from the DT

do you know how I would be able to tell (if there is a visual indicator) if an adapter is type A or B?

Not that I’m aware of visual indicators. It’s just how they’re wired. Arturia is definitely type B

Dumb question, but have you tried a different 5 pin midi cable? I had this problem once with the digitakt accepting a 5 pin cable, then it randomly stopped working because the cable was faulty.