Digitakt as a sound on sound looper

So I’ve just moved to a new apartment and can’t bring my big tube amps and big pedalboard so I’ve been playing some guitar through the modular. Mainly just getting it up to level and running it through some filters with modulation, then modular runs into digitakt for fx and mixing with some drum sounds.

I must say the digitakt is one of the best sound on sound loopers i’ve used. I have used the 16 second digital delay from ehx and usually use a pigtronix infinity these days. But the digitakt has reverb as well as filtering on the delay that you can move around and filter the sound how you like is a big plus. If you want to add a little modulation you can change the delay time, or for more subtle modulation bump the tempo up and bring it back down or vice versa.

This really got me thinking though that elektron should make some sort of FX unit. They do really good reverb and delay already. A few extra things like being able to freeze the loop and still have a delay to play with and more filtering options would be awesome. Last but not least, 1 or 2 lfos to adjust delay time, level, or other features would be cool as well. Seems like they could knock this out of the park. Anyone else tried this and any additional thoughts?

2 Likes

Could you describe your process? The lack of quantized recording has always thrown me off but I suppose you can just use threshold to start sampling when you play? And already have a trig in the sequencer?

There’s no way to do it handless right?

Sounds cool! I’ve used MIDI loopback to manipulate FX settings that might work in a setup like this: Digitakt FX Scenes method

@mbillz there’s no way to record handless; if you’re working with external synth sounds, there are ways to capture perfectly timed loops using mutes and delays, but it can’t be done seamlessly with the audio tracks on Digitakt alone.

1 Like

I’ve primarily been using the delay portion of the external input effects section. It has to be set above 100 but it has a nice slow decay when set to max time. When filtered right it can sound like a tape delay or BBD but still digital in a good way. So it’s not like a looper in the traditional sense but it’s a very long delay that will keep looping and degrading when set to 110 or so and gets more aggressive the higher the feedback.

To start try 100 BPM and just max the delay time in the delay section and turn feedback to 100+. Then enable the input mixer and run a guitar or keyboard into the external input and turn the effect send for the delay up to 50-60 to start. You can program a drum loop to stay in time and play with or just stop the pattern to do sound on sound looping without a drum loop. Pretty cool!!

1 Like

Octatrack ?
You can probably set it up as you describe for looping , freezing etc.