Digitakt Backup via Overbridge Total Recall

Hey Folks,

since I tried to search for solutions for this topic in this forum and didn’t find a satisfying answer maybe you will find the following interesting:

I just successfully backed up my Digitakt (or at least one project) and recovered it on a different machine using Total Recall within Overbridge.

What I used:

• Two Digitakt devices, one with broken screen that needed to be backed up and a new one. Important: the first one was totally functional yet the screen was a little hard to read.
  • Ableton Live 10 on a Mac
  • Elektron Transfer and Overbridge software
  • no C6

What I did …
is pretty straight forward and how you normally would think it works:

1. I used the Transfer app to copy all my samples (the root directory of the +Drive) FROM Digitakt 1 TO my computer.
  2. I started the Overbridge Engine and put the DT 1 into Overbridge Mode.
  3. I started Ableton Live, created a new empty project, created a MIDI track and put the Digitakt plugin (Overbridge) on it.
  4. I opened the plugin window and enabled Total Recall. The Ableton project is now synced with the active project on DT 1
  5. I saved the Ableton Project, named it “Digitakt Backup 1” and put the previously transferred samples into a folder within the Ableton Project folder
  6. I unplugged DT 1 and connected DT 2 with the computer.
    Then I just did everything in reverse with DT 2:
  7. I transferred all samples onto DT 2 using the Transfer app
  8. I switched the DT 2 to Overbridge mode and started the Overbridge Engine on the computer.
  9. I opened the Ableton Live Project
  10. DT 2 asked me immediately if I wanted to use plugin state, device state or cancel recall. I hit “USE PLUGIN STATE”. After a few seconds my Digitakt Project was transferred to DT 2. All the samples have been recognized, everything works fine.
  11. I saved the Project on DT 2. (I guess this is important)

DONE

I guess this isn’t a satisfying workaround for all backup related problems on the Digitakt. Specially when you want to create memory space on the device the “copy all samples” method may be unsatisfying. But it is a quite fast and safe way to get your DT Projects on a hard drive or USB Stick AND back on another Digitakt.
Please try it on your own and tell me your results! Peace!

Jake

5 Likes

Nice job! I just tried it and re-loaded in an empty project on the same digitakt. Now I have a copy of the original project - worked fine, of course I did not need to copy any samples, so the copy plays back instantly.
Thanks for pointing out this way, I was looking for this and it makes it really easy to backup project by project, which is the only way to eventually get rid of samples on the +drive by just deleting it and putting your favorite projects back on the machine.
Jan

1 Like

I only have 1 DT, but I use Total Recall a lot

Added an updated video showing Total Recall with Bitwig

1 Like