Digitakt Bubble: Already set to Burst? 04/15/23

new title - same thread - updates at the bottom

TLDR in the last week, the average price of a used Digitakt has risen from $600 to $700 in the United States!

Pandemonium, following the release of OS 1.50 used Digitakt prices in the US rapidly on the rise, stock dwindling. Are we in for a long winter? Will spring never come for the budding elektronaut? Is Digitakt to become the next Monomachine, inflating a niche market bubble economy type of artificial rise in value? Will it eventually burst?

After noticing the rapid decline of available used DT stock on all common sale platforms I decided to look at the prediction market standing for this hot item - within the last week or so, I posted a link to a $578 DT at music go round which sold rapidly thereafter - there are now no more DT at the music go round chain - 6 Elektron units have sold on the guitar center website in the last 2 days, all DT. There was a $499.00 DT at guitar center several months ago which I happened to screencap because I had a feeling something like this was going to happen after song mode was released and it just happened sooner than I expected with 1.50:

I have collected a cross sample of numbers for all readily available current Digitakt sales listings across common platforms in the US (meaning: Reverb, my California local CL, Mercari, Guitar center, Music go round, Ebay, Google ads including Alto music, Mission synths and the Canadian Nightlife electronics; I did not search pawn shops, mom and pop music stores which are not aggregated by google, or craigslist outside 200 miles of my own local area) so while this is just a slice of the market, it’s the one most available to us all. As an honorable mention, all DT recently listed on Elektronauts which did not sell fast, the owner has decided to keep the item so currently there are no DT for sale on the elektronauts forum in the US.

Out of the 20 market sample prices, I removed the low and the high number:

• $̶6̶4̶0̶.0̶0̶
  • $̶1̶,1̶5̶0̶.0̶0̶

I then averaged the other 18 prices to conclude the current average used price is $699.51 per unit in the US! Using Reverb’s February 2023 actual past sales disclosure as a roadmap, the average sale price on Reverb in Feb of this year alone was $597.42 averaged out of 41 sales with the top and bottom numbers dropped, so the average number is taken from the 39 sale prices inbetween.

That is to say, the average price has risen approximately $100 on used Digitakt units available for sale in the last week.

When will the bubble burst? Is DT a sound financial investment? Will you love yours enough to hold on to it if the DT (God forbid) becomes legacy gear and the price continues to rise? This is like a synth soap opera! What in the actual F is going on?

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

5 Likes

I don’t think I do! I get on my knees everyday and kiss craigslist for delivering me one for $500. Thank u craigslist!

5 Likes

Ill just keep my Ot Mk2 and be content with that.

5 Likes

if only everyone had your dedication.

5 Likes

Makes no sense to me, the OT still does more as long as you don’t mind not having overbridge. Since it can record 4-5 minutes of audio into itself I just track it’s solo’d tracks into itself for about 40 seconds or so and drag into my DAW. Easy.

4 Likes

I’d expect that once the hype of the new firmware wears off prices might drop a small bit but I’m usually wrong about these things lol. I still vividly remember a DT selling for like $400 a couple of years ago and I kick myself every day for not buying it. I actually broke down and ordered a new one from Sweetwater a couple days ago. The prices are eye-watering.

2 Likes

Chinese doesn’t make sense to me yet billions of people speak it fluently… that’s all there is to it.

2 Likes

ok

2 Likes

gimme!

1 Like

Well, what if I don’t want to use my fingers? Can I use boomin’ bass to jiggle it out?

1 Like

Not my OTmkII for the record, I found that on CL and posted it as a meme a few days ago. I thought it was hilarious. Reality, that is :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok I’ll bite. Firmware 1.5 was released and as we know mankind in its most predictable form: People get hyped up and aroused and suddenly suffer again from FOMO combined with GAS.

These are the same people who sold the DT in the last years because they hate mono samplers.

But demand for “the product” is suddenly much higher: prices up.

They all will sell it again in a few weeks or months, because well, it’s still a mono sampler, so they still hate it. More supply than demand: prices down.

And then Elektron releases firmware 1.6 with a stereo sample playback machine… :exploding_head:

14 Likes

preach it brother!

but I’m keeping my digitakt lol.

3 Likes

I want to be entombed like an Egyptian but instead of putting dried flowers in my stomach I want it to be my Digitakt.

10 Likes

Once traded a Digitone for an OP1. Some people just know what they want and want it now. Did immediately get another DN though for $600.

3 Likes

probably exactly right about that. too bad they didn’t want it 10 days ago, right?

1 Like

Yes the bubble will burst when next gen products (a sampler) from Elektron and Akai drop… Akai have already lodged fillings with the FCC for a MPC ONE MKII… I’d guess it might be seen at any major show from now on.

2 Likes

you believe elektron will introduce another sampler after adding all that functionality to the DT? feels to me like they did that so they can justify a price hike on retail sales of the unit without upgrading the physical hardware. Thats my interpretation, that it’s a move you make when you want to increase your market share using an existing product which can be improved with software. but I agree, it doesn’t seem like it can stay like this, however it did just happen here in reality in the last week so hard for me to predict.

5 Likes

looks like Canon just did that too. cancelled an expected new camera n are dropping a big update to their existing model instead.

not sure exactly the reason but to me it makes a lot of sense to take that approach in the current climate.
unless increased horsepower is necessary, really maxing out a unit with huge upgrades is something I personally welcome, n I can see it increasing sales just like a new release would.

albeit maybe in not such large numbers but it comes with less overheads too, so it’s a win win in my book.

this might not be the reason for such OS upgrades tho, purely speculation on my part.

8 Likes

The biggest motivation for Elektron to release significant new products will be Akai, NI and the likes releasing their new products in the same space as Elektron.

Software updates are a great way of maintaining interest in a product line but I am not sure how much they grow your market share.

Whereas a release of a well received new product grows a user base and cannibalizes your competition.

2 Likes