Digitakt Changing Projects during Live Performance

I have been trying to think of ways to switch projects if the DT is my clock during Live Performance. I just got an OT, so I am thinking I could start a loop in the OT, but not sure if that would cause an issue. Any other ideas? Maybe I’m missing something.

You could kick off a long stem on your octatrack from the CF card, but probably setting up a record buffer to listen to the DT, and play the record buffer whilst you’re switching projects is what you want to do by the looks of the post.

I’d set up a track, maybe T7 if you’re using T8 as a master to listen to your A/B inputs (if that’s the inputs your DT is plugged into), to be a flex track. Scroll up in the sample selection list and select record buffer 7.

Press function and a record button; that’ll pop open the recording menu. The sequencer now represents recording trigs. Hold function and press step one. That trigger is now a one shot trigger, it’ll record into the buffer once for the number of steps you’ve dictated when it’s armed. I’d set the number of steps to 64, I think it’s encoder C that’s used for this. Make sure that your record source is only the DT inputs, eg only A/B is selected as record input. Press no to go back to the normal step sequencer. Add a trigger to the sequenced track.

We don’t want this track to always play, as it’ll only play back what you’ve recorded, not the live input. Set up two scenes so that this track is at minimum volume during normal playback (hold scene A button and turn the track volume knob down), do the same with scene B but set the track volume knob to max. You may also want to make your thru/dir track from the DT also muted on scene B so you don’t have audio duplicated.

When you’re ready to load a new project, and want to run your loop, record it by hitting YES. “All tracks armed” should pop up. wait for 64 steps, your buffer should now be full. Pull your cross fader to scene B. It should now be only playing your record buffer on loop. You can then fiddle with your DT to change project without an audio drop out. When your new project is loaded and playing, slide back to A and your recording should fade out and you should start to hear the new DT beat.

I’m not Infront of my octa just now, so I might have gotten some small things wrong but hopefully this points you in the right direction!