Digitakt + DAW = 1 Instrument

First off - Hello! I’m new here. New to Elektron devices and currently in the zone of peaks and troughs of first weeks learning Digitakt.

Today I’ve uploaded Overbridge and got it set up in Live 11. Again, I’m sure many have been here but there was a process of frustrated realisations at not being able to separate the send FX channels for recording.

But then I realised I can just drop live FX onto my individual tracks, and use lives sends etc, and immediately I just felt like in a way my macbook and live melded their machine minds to become one.

I can see pro’s and con’s - For live performance it might be tricky as you would probably need different versions of the initial starting template and switching on the fly probably won’t work (sure people have made hacks for stuff like this though… But if the goal is just to make a track, then it has creative advantages.

I easily found complaints online about the limitations of recording with overbridge, but not much about embracing a hybrid situation.

I’m wondering how many people have found and embraced creative ways to meld DAW and Device, or if people like to keep things separate and why?

Does anyone else share my feeling of 2 becoming one instrument? or too faffy?

3 Likes

That was the first thing I did with my digitakt. Hooked it up to ableton, and got my push out and basically use the push and an effects controller for the dt. It’s cool!

But for some reason didn’t stick… the immediacy of just turning a price of hardware on and using it is why we pay so much for these digital boxes that do a fraction of what a computer can do…

Having said that, where I make music is my workspace, and I need to break things down and put them back each time I want to make music… if you could leave it all setup it might be different.

Without a push controller - I dunno - I use a mouse all day and am keen to get away by the end.

I weirdly didn’t see the same potential in, or click with Push, in the same way, even though it’s fully integrated.

I might end up feeling the same way as you in a few weeks.

If I set racks up with a defined set of effects on each track, all the same, maybe I could use midi tracks of DT to control them and keep clicking to a minimum?

Hybrid is where it’s at IMO. I basically use Ableton as an effects box/mixing and mastering console, which would be very expensive to replicate outside of the box…not to mention a pain. Overbridge makes that even easier.

I have a nice chunk of gear (Digitakt, Syntakt, Virus, Typhon) because I like creating patches on hardware, but if I ever truly needed to pare down I’d get by just fine with a Digitakt sequencing Diva on a laptop.

2 Likes

When I do use Ableton, I definitely use Overbridge. I love putting tracks dedicated to percussion through the Drum Bus effects.

Yes, definitely. I also sequence VST’s via the DT, and having 8 quickly assignable controls for each DT MIDI track makes working with VST parameters so much less painful. You can sequence soft synths, automate effects, just use it as a static controller, whatever. The mutes are even assignable.

I found this to be a helpful mini tutorial on getting it set up:

1 Like