Digitakt/Digitone Program Changes (DN is late again)

So I have my Digtakt as the master and sending off program changes to the DN. I’m aware of the long standing ‘1 Bar late’ midi sync issue but I really thought I had over come it :frowning:

Can someone tell me why yesterday, even with each machine sometimes playing different pattern speeds and lengths, would always execute program changes right on time and in sync…

…and today the DN is late by either a bar, a note, 2 notes, etc.

It feels like something caused this sync disruption but I’m racking my brain to figure it out. All the same settings as yesterday or so I think. I generally keep CH LEN on 8 or 16 and M LEN on INF.

2 Likes

Is DN set to receive program change? There’s technically 2 program change input options for Elektron boxes.

MIDI CONFIG>SYNC>PROG CH RECEIVE is def on and the program changes are happening…sometimes in sync but almost always either a note or a bar bar behind.

what’s the 2nd option btw?

I think it would be sending program change messages to the autochannel, which would result in the type of off-sync program changes you’re getting (in the case that the DN’s pattern is longer than the DT’s).

If your prog ch in channel (channels menu) on the DN is the same as prog ch out (same) on the DT, it sounds like you’re doing everything right so I’m not sure.

Ah thanks for the idea…I tried disabling other program changes that Im sending via a different channel, but no luck with that!

Oh you know what, don’t send program change messages to the DN at all. Turn off any program changes you’re sending to the DN from the DT midi tracks.

What the pgm chg receive option does is sync the program change of the DT to the program change of the DN. It does it automatically, you don’t need to manually send a program change message.

Nah, i was sending pgrm change messages from the DT to another device.

Okay, just checking:

• pgm ch receive is on DN (as you said), pgm change send is on DT
  • in channels menu of both boxes, the respective in/out channels are set to the same channel
  • no program change messages are sent from DT midi tracks to DN

if all of these things are true, yeah I don’t know!

Also, when the above works, the DN will always be on the same pattern as the DT. There are some people who want to use different patterns on each box, so they forego this option for having out of sync patterns, but I’ve grown to like it a lot.

Well I’m offering a pizza to the first person that can help me solve this! I’ve got a live set coming up and need this to work!

I was messing around the other day with this same problem (OT and DN)

I think the only way I could get the DN to sync the same time (not one bar late) was to have the pattern length and master length on both machines the same (possibly on all 4 tracks also).

Was going to have another experiment over weekend but didn’t get round to it

3 Likes

Also having this issue - recently updated to both new 1.40B on tone and 1.50 on takt which didnt solve

At present I have

Digitakt master - on midi setup everything is set to send;
Digitone - everything is set to recieve
Channel is set to 13 on both devices

Whats happening is that when in song mode the digitone is changing pattern on time, but the voice from the previous pattern is playing for about a bar.

I have tried setting the Ch Len to off // the same on both devices which did not resolve the issue.

Got a live set coming up very soon so desparate for a fix :sob:

You mean a long note from previous pattern ? Are there notes on the new pattern ?

No, for example

T1 is a flute on pattern A1 (playing short notes)
T1 is a bass on pattern A2 (playing long notes)

when the song goes to pattern A2, the long notes will play in the flute voice from A1 for a bar instead of the bass voice

have you tried micro timing to pull back the end of the flute note before the pattern change?

even if the issue is caused by an otherwise imperceivable latency in receiving dt program change messages, if the note is in off status when the next message is received it should prompt the correct sound to load instead of catching up to itself a bar later. That’s my thought.

1 Like

So it takes a bar to change sample slot, only on 1 track ?
Seems like a weird bug…
What if you plock the slot of the first bass sound on A2 ?

1 Like

he didn’t say he’s using all dn voices, maybe only track 1 flute then bass is in use ? in that case just move bass to track 2 and done, I think.

Also would help to know the trig length in track 1 pattern 1.