Digitakt "Do I Understand Quantize" question

Hi…

I’m not 100% sure I understand this (after like, four years or something I’ve barely recorded any trigs live cos it sometimes seems pointless between the velocityless pads and my push buttons brain, but I should start really…)

so… some q’s…

1. Holding record and tapping play switches between what I am going to call “record quantize” right? Is there any way to tell whether it’s active? apart from checking trigs I mean…

2. the Quantize menu… this quantises the trigs in real time, but without actually changing their original timing? So it will play things straighter, but the trigs stay however sloppy you played them?
    This is actually very cool if so, kinda another peformance feature I guess…I just didn’t understand that AT ALL.

3. FUNC/PLAY on the Quantize screen seems to shortcut between 127 and 0 of track quantize weirdly, which I don’t think is in the manual? Just in case anyone can use that!

erm anyway, I’m a bit slow, please help. thnx

1. Yes - IIRC the top bar on the display tells you if it’s in quantized or unquantized record mode

2. Yes, if I remember correctly too, you can choose whether it does the selected track or the whole lot.

3. Didn’t know that but I don’t really use the quantize menu that much because I’m either sloppy or tight in and then usually shift stuff about with microtiming afterwards anyway.

2 Likes

thanks, just worked out 2) by playing kicks in badly and listening to them flam against the metronome as I shifted it… ha.

And ah, yes, there’s a massive great sign on the screen. What a div. I was in the quantize menu so I couldn’t see it.