Digitakt : External battery / Power pack options?

Does anyone know of a step up voltage converter from 5v to 12v that allows output at 1A? they all seem to have a max 700mA output and Digitone needs 1A to start properly.

Am I better off just getting a DC output battery vs a USB power bank with a converter?

As I wrote here Iā€™m using a BirdCord with Anker Powercore 3000. It works with Digitone and Digitakt.

2 Likes

thanks - but the birdcore has 750mA max output, you donā€™t have any problems powering up?

i saw earlier on this thread some people mentioning having issues with this

Never had a problem. Iā€™m regularly using it since a couple of months.
You can contact the BirdCord support, they are very kind and helpful if you need some additional info (They helped me choosing the powerbank)

thanks i think i will contact them - their site says digitone and even octatrack II is supported which is weird because octatrack requires 2A!

same cable but cheap 3.5mm 12V 1A output (but doesnā€™t tested yet)
I tried WITRN PDC-002 with QC3.0 powerbank (xiaomi) and it works well.

1 Like

I use simple 12V lead-acid battery for Digitone. Cheaper and environment friendly compared to lithium although quite heavy about 2kg. Also have a 6V battery for older Elektrons.

Yes, step up voltage converters will cost you about 25% of your powerbank capacity.

1 Like

My Jaggery Powerbar is bulky AF but will
Power the DT through mains for hoooours.

One person said they very rarely have a freeze with the BirdCord. Many others said it worked fine (as it does for me).

Many people have had issues with the RipCord.

whoah - can you explain that a bit? is the step converter actually wasting energy, or is it simply that the battery capacity for a 5V bank is calculated for drawing 5V instead of 12?

i contacted the person who makes Birdcord and he explained that the digitone and octatrack mostly operate at 7 W (this is in the manuals) and therefore they only draws 580mA most of the time. Meanwhile the bird cord is specifically made to handle the ocasional jumps to 1A and 2A (like at startup). If they were to draw that much for a sustained period, then it would damage the BirdCord circuits not the Elektron.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I use - canā€™t remember if itā€™s that specific Ankur, but itā€™s a big one I had anyway, didnā€™t buy a specific one for the job.

Hi, all. I just bought these, and they are working fine so far.

I scored the battery pack on lightning deal for around $16 USD.
So overall it cost me $26~7ish with tax.
Pretty happy with the result.

2 Likes

hey guys would this work ? Omni Mobile 12800mah 60W USB-C PD / USB-A: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

with the same usb to dc as above ?

or would even this work , this would be killer for the price

All QC 2.0/3.0 power banks support 12V output without dc-dc converting. U need cable with ā€œtriggerā€ like WITRN UQC005 QC2/3 decoy activation line 9 12V charging treasure mobile power router USB power supply length 1m|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress or similar
Any usb dc to dc always works.

2 Likes

It seems like PD with usbc has a lot more potential here no?

Anker is OK

4 years later and after nearly 600 comments, there is no proper solution for this. I do think that Elektron needs to look at it seriously. The need for portability has increased tremendously the past few years and all Elektron devices are easy to transport. We need a solution that guarantees to work with all Elektron instruments without the need for risking damaging them. If anyoneā€™s from Elektron is reading this: thank you for being awesome BUT we need an external battery/power pack solution.

4 Likes

I think there are plenty of reliable solutions though. The bird cord cable with the anker (or basically any) battery pack are the most popular combo and what I use. Do we need an official, probably overpriced, solution? Especially considering the power handle debacle.

7 Likes