Digitakt foreign AC outlet

Hello,
I’m preparing a trip to Ireland and I want to bring my DT with me. I have a french/EU power supply and I know in UK it’s not the same power outlet on the wall.

• Do I have to change just the cable from the transformer to the wall ?
  • Can I use an AC adapter ?
  • Do I have to get an UK power adapter ?

Anything else I miss ?

Thanks.

You’ll just need an adapter for the European plug to the UK / Irish socket.

Something like this:

https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/electricite-domotique/interrupteur-et-prise/adaptateur-de-voyage/adaptateur-france-vers-grande-bretagne-190-775-zenitech-66916080.html

2 Likes

For completeness, the adaptor would be the only purchase you’d likely need to make

The power supply is universal, the only thing Elektron swap out of a pending dispatch to country x or y before sealing the box is the iec cable between the voltage converter box bit and the wall. The common cable end is a C7 type or (figure of 8)

Anyway, the point i was offering up for completeness, is that over the years i have accumulated many european IEC C7 leads which came in the boxes of items, i could grab one of those (the one on left, like yours) if i was going to europe

so if you have anything in a product box like the one on the right, then that is an option, but an adaptor is more flexible if you are going to take other products to plug in

3 Likes

This is a good point. I don’t have a Digitakt so didn’t realise they have removable cables, and is what I do with laptops and similar when travelling between the UK / EU / US as long as there is a switching power supply (one that allows for both 110v / 220 or 240v if going to the US and vice-versa) of course.

1 Like

one further academic point (given all elektron boxes have the transformer anyway)

… but anyone looking to source a replacement in e.g. an emergency abroad could buy a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) for sure and they may well have bought the right device

However, switch mode power supplies are named so due to the way they deliver the power, as distinct from a typically bulkier/hotter/less-efficient ‘linear’ power supply

offering switching as a term here as exchangeable with universal is complicating the equation

e.g. Elektron don’t state universal, but merely … The PSU-# power supply handles voltages of 100-240 VAC, 50/60Hz.

A switch mode power supply (to my knowledge) does not imply it handles different input voltage specs too, it merely describes how it converts internally … i.e. it could potentially be dangerous to take an american switch mode psu to the uk if it’s not universal

just my cautious :heat: pedantry fwiw :wink: , at least as far as the english terms are used … i don’t think manufacturers would describe a wide input voltage range as switching, i’ve seen universal and the term ‘planet earth’ (i.e. anywhere) but ‘switching’ could create confusion

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification - I’ve been too long in France and sometimes my English becomes… confused.

1 Like

I’m currently suffering an adapter shortage. I saw this and thought, brilliant, I’ll just replace the cords on my Elektron PSUs. But the cords cost more than adapters do! Curses!

2 Likes

It’s always easy in the UK at least to wire a 3-pin plug onto an IEC cable, there must be EU/US equivalents despite their being a small plug format to begin with

a plug in the Uk is cheap if not cheaper than an adaptor

where there is no option, there is always these for gadgets one might get from Thomman?/Thomann? etc

these can typically be tightened/screwed on - so they don’t look so bad (nor disconnect)

meant to paste this image further up the topic (wrt the ‘parts’ of the PSU that are exchangeable etc) purely for visual clarification

1 Like

I have a tonne three-pin European plugs for devices where a ground is required that came with computers and monitors at work, so I just grabbed the latter as no-one needed them, which was very handy when moving to France.

Yeah, those work fine - I use them often (and forgot about their existence in my original reply above !).

1 Like

once you arrive, just go to any local super market and get an eu to uk plug converter for a quid. done!

p.s: after i moved to the uk, i got my first eu to uk converter by ordering it on deliveroo app, from a 24/7 convenience store :sweat_smile:

1 Like