Digitakt headphones out versus mains?

Hi guys,
I am re-shuffling my synths and my mixer (Midas 160) is starting to lack INs.
Before taking the patchbay route, I wanted to save a stereo in (L/R) and instead connect my DT to a mono channel.
Question: should I use the Left out main or could I use a TRS cable from headphones out to the mono channel on my mixer?
What are the downsides of this? DT effects I suppose?
Anybody’s advice/experience is most welcome.
Thank you :slight_smile:

I’d either use just the left out on the back, or merge l/r from the outputs to a single plug.

…the headphones out has an additional pre amp to feed headphones…
so don’t use it as a standard line out…

takt’s only stereo relevance are the internal fx…and mono is no bad thing at all…

1 Like

I use headphone outs on both Digitakt and Digitone to a mixer, it works!

Please let me know if this is very bad, I think it sounds great.

If it sounds great it’s not bad. :slight_smile: Normally you would want to use the line outs because they play back the sound without extra coloration which the headphone preamp might add. But there are devices where some people tend to prefer the sound of the headphone output. So in the end you should trust your ears. And i think it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

…well…if u like it…

but all headphone outs have headphone amps…so that gain u got there IS actually colouring and by no means a neutral line signal…
while overall, inbuilt headphone amps are never top notch…
it sounds ok at first always…but once u start recording THAT boost and try adding up and blending in with other signals, what u hear is not what u get anymore…
and u got heavy loads of demudding work waiting for u afterwards…

4 Likes

So are you just using them both in mono? Or are you using insert-style cables to break the headphone outputs to dual 1/4 for the mixer?

Yeah they break out to stereo… I couldn’t hear any difference, had to test headphones out vs the L and R.

Thanks for the info

May I ask are you guys using ts or trs cables?

From the digis out*

The L and R outputs on the Digitakt support both unbalanced (TS) and balanced (TRS) cables (from page 14 of the manual). To benefit from using TRS cables the inputs on your audio interface must also support balanced/TRS cables.

Yeah I use to have ts to my analogue mixer from digis before I started using headphones.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain how you think/go about it.
I have decided to only use DT main left out (TRS) to a mono channel on my Midas. In the end, “mono is no bad thing at all” :slight_smile: @StreetDeezy
And it just works great. It tends to sit in my mix better:
Using a TR-8, Tanzmaus and DT for drums.
Since I am mainly using monos from all 3, it actually helped :slight_smile:
Mainly using DT for sequencing TR-8 and all other hardware synths. So mono is ok in the end :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Noob here! Never had any issues with any other groovebox/samplers but I’m going on a cable frenzy here! First couple days I was amazed at the sound just using my audio technica ATH-M50x headphones. But when I was ready to record with the mainouts the sounds horrible and distorted! And tried headphones out into my mixer same thing but with just the headphones it’s amazing! Opened a support ticket and they want a recording of all the outputs. There’s no way for me to record how awesome it sounds with just my headphones. Tried brand new cables dual 1/4 ts to 1/8 trs to my Koma field kit mixer? Maybe I’ll try directly into a different mixer I don’t know :man_shrugging: Any thoughts?

Just use the rotary control and turn the music down.:arrows_counterclockwise:

1 Like

I mean we’re talking rough distorted sound barely past 40%. Maybe my unit is faulty? Thanks for the reply, just sucks all the jams on YouTube are great with no reports of sound issues.

The issue is the mixer.

1 Like

It’s apparently the hottest device I’ve ever used!? Sounding pretty good just direct into my tascam recorder with the trim levels really low, And Digitakt close to 50%. Really appreciate the help, cheers all!!

Yeah it has a lot of power, it can get VERY loud with certain filter and drive settings.

1 Like