Digitakt MIDI Program Channel Confusion

Hi there, I recently got a Hydrasynth and I’m having a strange limitation regarding having multiple MIDI tracks from DT assigned to the same synth.

So I have Keystep -> Digitakt. Keystep is set to Channel 10 output into Digitakt Auto Channel input. This allows me to play notes on an active track.

All well and good so far.

But…then I have MIDI Track 9/10 assigned to same patch, different notes. MIDI Track 11/12 assigned to different patch (same patch for both). And finally MIDI Track 13 assigned to, yet again a different patch.

Hydra is set to receive program changes on MIDI Channel 1 ONLY. I have Digitakt sending program changes to MIDI Channel 1 ONLY.

So basically I can mute/unmute the MIDI tracks and I’ll get the track to change patches/programs only ONCE and then it stops sending them. And in the case of MIDI Track 13 is sometimes doesn’t send a program change at all. My understanding is that whatever MIDI track I have unmuted, it will change to that program. Yet it’s very inconsistent. Please let me know if there’s some setting I can adjust so that I can consistently change the program when muting/unmuting tracks. I could see how this might be a limitation so that if you had multiple MIDI tracks assigned to the same synth, different programs you wouldn’t have program change chaos if all the tracks were unmuted. But if there’s a way to override this “only change once per patch” problem that would be great.

Also, when I start a pattern I have no problem having it send to the proper unmuted MIDI track. So it seems like this is a “mute/unmute while the sequencer is going” problem specifically.

1 Like

I’m running into this same problem trying to get my Digitakt to send program and parameter changes to the Analog Heat. I dedicated 4 MIDI tracks to the AH so I would have parameter configurations (my default program, filter sweeps, weird LFO settings, etc.) applicable with the press of a button, but each one only works once until I hit stop on the Digitakt. Did you happen to ever find a workaround?

Same here. Makes the Digitakt a pretty dumb brain :pensive:
Edit: Elektron User Care told me a workaround! You have to set a parameter locked Bank Change (it can be the same bank you’re already on so it won’t affect nothing) to be able to get the Program Change to change patterns after stoping and playing the sequence or manually changing patterns.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Oddly enough, I figured this out last month, lol. I’ve got the Takt sending program changes to the Heat and my Microcosm; it’s pretty dope.