Digitakt Midi Question (Absolute Beginner)

Hmm do you have Monitoring enabled when sampling?

1 Like

You cant hear anything if you dont.
I was fairly sure it was one of those things that everybody dealt with, this is the first time in 3 years I have heard anyone say the monitoring volume was on par with internal audio, that’s why I was surprised when I read it. I use a mixer so its doesn’t matter much in regards to playing with multiple sources but every time I sample something through the inputs I stop the DT so I can hear what’s going on.

Are you running Overbridge/USB Audio? Or just the standard main 1/4" outs or headphones?

No overbridge, just live sampling through left and right inputs.
Its the same direct through the headphones out as it is from the mixer.

How high does the signal meter on the DT sampling page go? Is it getting near the right or hovering around the left?

I’m trying to wrap my head around this because I don’t want to buy a mixer if its not necessary…Since the digitakt is now audio class compliant, can it record its own audio (and the other instruments it is controlling via midi) straight into an iPad?

My intended setup is this:

-Using Digitakt’s 8 tracks to sequence drums
-Digitakt sequencing GM via midi
-Digitakt sequencing samples from SP404SX via midi

Will I still need a mixer to capture the audio of the GM and SP404?

Apparently you can’t, it doesn’t send its external inputs to usb. Digitone does it.

Doable with an audio class compliant usb mixer I guess.

Audio is not transmitted with MIDI so this isn’t possible.

You will need a mixer (even a small 4-6 channel one like the Xenyx range. They’re pretty inexpensive). But you will also need a way of recording this somewhere. Where do you plan on capturing the audio? an iPad or a computer?

For now I just have the audio running through the Digitakts Inputs but I do want to invest in a mixer/recorder eventually. I was looking into the Zoom R16 as a long term solution

Well whatever you decide on make sure you have enough channels for your current setup + expansions that will inevitably come along. Some mixers also act as audio interfaces for your computer so you can capture the audio (cheaper ones only capture 2 channel master output but more expensive can do individual channels).

The benefit of Digitakt is that Overbridge can be used to capture the audio from the DT either standalone mode or into a DAW and this can be used in tandem with a separate audio interface to capture your other synth (right now Grandmother).

1 Like