Digitakt midi sync latency (DAWless)

Hello! This seems like a simple issue, yet I can’t find anyone asking this question on the forum or around the internet.

I’m using the midi out from the Digitakt to sync two of the first gen Korg Electribes (the ER1 and the EM1), via a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru.

It all works great except that there’s a significant latency from the Digitakt to the Electribes. The Electribes are playing in perfect sync with each other, and at the same tempo as the Digi, but about 250ms slow.

How can I fix this? I was so looking forward to jamming without having to boot up a computer and run a DAW to master-clock everything.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tong

Have you tried without the quadra thru?

Yep, even when it’s just sending clock to one of the Electribes, there’s a lag. Thanks for your reply!

Hi Tong,

• Are the Korg Electribes configured to get their clock information from an external source?
  • Is the Digitakt configured to send clock information?
  • Is the Digitakt configured to send clock information over the MIDI port?

Kind regards,
Tomas

1 Like

It is unlikely that the problem is caused by the Digitakt.

How are you monitoring the audio coming from all the machines?

4 Likes

Yes they’re both receiving clock from the DT and the tempo is consistent, it just lags behind the DT. Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

The DT and the Electribes are all going into a small Yamaha mixer, and I’m plugging my headphones into that mixer. Do you think the mixer might be creating the latency? Thanks very much for your help.

No, but it was worth asking about your monitoring setup.

2 Likes

Is it possible that older hardware like the first gen Electribes are just slower to process midi clock data? Or would all midi devices receive midi clock the same way/at the same speed? I will test another non-Electribe device when I can to see if the latency is still there.

Is anyone else using a DT as the ‘brain’ of a DAWless set-up? Any sync issues?

Thanks for you reply PeterHanes, you’re super active on Elektronauts it’s much appreciated

I’m curious if the tempo light’s flashes are synchronized or visually reflect the lag.

Looks like there is a slight delay in the tempo light flash as well, though it doesn’t look like it’s as severe as the delay sounds. The Electribes look like they’re flashing at exactly the same time. Thanks again for your reply

AFAIR, I didn’t have any latency with my ER-1 when I was syncing it with the DT. Try to sync DT and ER-1 with a direct MIDI cable.

It doesn’t say that he’s not passing by the Quadra.

This may or may not have an effect but is Turbo engaged in the DT MIDI settings? AFAIK, for Turbo to work, both sides need to be set to use it. I’ve never played with it but from Elektron to Elektron devices you can set it up as everything I own (Elektrons that is) seems to support it.

I’m wondering if it’s enabled (which it’s not by default) and that is causing some sync issues.

I might be way off the mark but worth looking at.

Edit: Just tried turning on Turbo on my DN while sending clock to an SH01-A. I can’t even turn Turbo on in the settings. I’m not sure what’s required for you to even turn it on but it doesn’t seem like something you would actually be able to enable without intentions to do so.

Hi Tchu! Yep it was bypassing the Quadra Thru, and even when it’s direct from DT midi out to ER1 midi in, there’s a delay. The clock signal is definitely being received, and it doesn’t sound like it’s drifting. It’s just playing about a quarter of a second behind the DT :thinking:
Thanks for your reply

Thanks for the suggestion! As you noted though, I don’t think Turbo can be switched on unless connected to a compatible device.

1 Like

Different swing settings across devices maybe?

1 Like

Digitakt audio is in sync with its metronome?

Good thinking but no that’s not it